Vanilla Vs French Vanilla

Decorating By iris219 Updated 19 Dec 2009 , 12:10pm by HowCoolGomo1

iris219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris219 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 12:08am
post #1 of 19

Hello everyone, hope you can help me.

I wanted to know what is the difference between vanilla and french vanilla flavor cakes?

Is there any flavors out their that you can make a cake taste like french vanilla?

18 replies
aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 12:14am
post #2 of 19

IMO- french vanilla has a more sophisticated taste. vanilla seems to be more suitable for children and french vanilla toward grown ups.
JMO
and i dont know how to make a cake go from vanilla to french vanilla.
interested to find out too.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 2:03am
post #3 of 19

French Vanilla is just an extra strong dosing of Vanilla, it's not a separate type.

French Vanilla was originally coined as a term to differentiate an egg (yolk) custard vanilla ice cream from one which didn't contain eggs (yolks):

http://www.vanilla.com/index.php/TROPICAL-FOODS/VANILLA/frequently-asked-questions-about-vanilla.html

French Vanilla cakes are yellow because they contain whole eggs, not just the whites. icon_smile.gif

HTH

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 2:55am
post #4 of 19

I recently made the DH french vanilla cake with the WASC recipe and it was terrible! And I am not picky. It was a very light pretty tasteless cake, pretty close to store bought sponge cake. Oh and BTW I LOVE french vanilla everything, except this.

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 4:26am
post #5 of 19

My french vanilla and vanilla recipes are from scratch and there are only 3 things different b/t the two. My french vanilla recipe uses the yolk as well, plus I use Madagascar vanilla and grated vanilla bean. I think taste wise it is a bit stronger vanilla taste then the plain vanilla.

iris219 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 2:17pm
post #6 of 19

Thank you for the comments, this makes a lot of sense now.

khoudek: where do you find the Madagascar vanilla?

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 3:05pm
post #7 of 19

Here is what I found when I searched french vanilla...

I found it at this site.. http://www.answers.com/topic/vanilla
(mod edited to delete copyright material.)

JustToEatCake Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 3:12pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by iris219

Thank you for the comments, this makes a lot of sense now.

khoudek: where do you find the Madagascar vanilla?

Madagascar beans vanilla is the "normal" vanilla you get at any grocery store. There are two kinds, Madagascar and one called something like tahitini, I can't remember the name exactly but the second one is less strong and has a more floral taste, but I haven't tasted it that's from my research awhile back.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 3:28pm
post #9 of 19

I've wondered about the difference between the two for some time. Recently I looked at the label on french vanilla and was surprised to see the other flavors that go into it. Hmm I have used the DH french vanilla mix and liked it with one of the extended mix recipes. Wouldn't use it for WASC though. Classic white works so well, why mess with a good thing.

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 3:47pm
post #10 of 19

This probably won't help but here goes,

When I make my base vanilla homemade ice cream, I use vanilla extract. Now if I'm having a party, I use extract, split the beans, scrape out the goodness and then simmer all of it together before ever hitting the eggs. That's what my friends call my french vanilla.

It's just a stronger flavor a vanilla IMO.

O, btw, after all the simmering is done I rinse the beans really well, dry them to almost crispy and then stick into my sugar.

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 3:59pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustToEatCake

one called something like tahitini, I can't remember the name exactly

Tahitian.

iris219 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 4:02pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowCoolGomo1

When I make my base vanilla homemade ice cream, I use vanilla extract. Now if I'm having a party, I use extract, split the beans, scrape out the goodness and then simmer all of it together before ever hitting the eggs. That's what my friends call my french vanilla.

It's just a stronger flavor a vanilla IMO.

O, btw, after all the simmering is done I rinse the beans really well, dry them to almost crispy and then stick into my sugar.

Thank you this is a great tip.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 4:55pm
post #13 of 19

To make it less confusing, I offer vanilla butter cake and vanilla bean butter cake. They are the exact same recipe, except in the first I use extract and in the second I use paste (a blend of extract and seeds from the beans that is much more economical and easier to use than the whole beans).

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 4:59pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by aundrea

IMO- french vanilla has a more sophisticated taste. vanilla seems to be more suitable for children and french vanilla toward grown ups.

I agree. I usually use French Vanilla for wedding cakes.

JustToEatCake Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 5:01pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboarder

Quote:

one called something like tahitini, I can't remember the name exactly

Tahitian.

LOL thanks..I actually can spell Tahitian..lol..but for some reason my brain didn't think it was Tahitian but a variation (even though the thought did cross my mind)..oh well I need a brain transplant and too lazy to look it up again. Thanks again!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 10:35pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:

I recently made the DH french vanilla cake with the WASC recipe and it was terrible! And I am not picky. It was a very light pretty tasteless cake, pretty close to store bought sponge cake. Oh and BTW I LOVE french vanilla everything, except this.

I've made DH french vanilla WASC and it was fine.

Don't know why it would be tasteless unless you didn't add all the extract called for (in this case 4 tsp. of vanilla). I use the Vanilla extract from Costco.

HTH

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 4:25am
post #17 of 19

Gomo, You force me to go waaay off topic here. When did you change your avatar to THAT critter??? It gives me shivers! Ewww........ LOL

Better yet WHY!!!

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 3:42pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Quote:

I've made DH french vanilla WASC and it was fine.

Don't know why it would be tasteless unless you didn't add all the extract called for (in this case 4 tsp. of vanilla). I use the Vanilla extract from Costco.

HTH

I've used it faithfully and never had a problem with it being tasteless. I like it a lot.

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 12:10pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn

Gomo, You force me to go waaay off topic here. When did you change your avatar to THAT critter??? It gives me shivers! Ewww........ LOL

Better yet WHY!!!

Never have changed my avatar, you must have me confused with someone else.

Why?; well the little guy was there, the light was right and I had my camera. I took that pic and bunches more.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%