How To Make A Cake Mix "from Store Bought Box" Ext

Decorating By jolie1977 Updated 15 Dec 2009 , 10:14pm by JanH

jolie1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolie1977 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 7:10pm
post #1 of 14

I have to make a chocolate cake and after trying over 6 different recipes, I have yet to find one that tastes better than the store bought kind! How disappointing! So I've decided to use a cake mix "from a box" for this time around... something I was wondering... how do you make a cake more "chewy"... or "fudgy" if you will? Is there a way to do that by adding something to the store bought box? Any tips or ideas?

13 replies
alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 14

Have you tried chocolate wasc cake from the recipes on this site? That's all I use and everyone loves it!

jolie1977 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 14

I use the white WASC... is it the same recipe except you use chocolate cake mix instead of white?

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 7:49pm
post #4 of 14

this recipe uses two boxes but I cut it in half:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7367/amazing-chocolate-wasc-cake

jolie1977 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 8:30pm
post #5 of 14

Oh I'm so excited! I hadn't found that one!!! Thank you so much! I LOVE the white WASC cake and am sure this chocolate version will be delish!!! THANKS AGAIN!!!!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 14

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above super thread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more!

This thread has all the extended/enhanced recipes, as well as just about everything that has ever been added to a cake mix:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-614378-.html

HTH

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 10:20pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolie1977

.... and after trying over 6 different recipes, I have yet to find one that tastes better than the store bought kind!

So why not just use the cake mix then? I can totally understand the satisfaction from making a great tasting scratch cake, but if someone is pursuing the 'best taste' for their cakes and the mix is the 'best taste', what's the problem?

some bakeries buy their cake mix in 50 lb bags and just add water. some of use buy our cake mixes in 18 ounce boxes and add egg, oil & water. thumbs_up.gif

jolie1977 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 5:10pm
post #8 of 14

JanH, I tried clicking on a few of the links in the thread you recommended, but they all keep bringing me back to the CC Home Page...? I'm dying to get into them though!!!! That link does look like it has everything I'm looking for!

You're right, there is definitely a satisfaction from making my own, but that's not what I'm really after... It would be much easier to use a cake mix... I just find that even the cake mix doesn't have that "amazingly delicious" chocolate cake that would make someone go "WOW.. that is AMAZING!" ... you know? I'm looking for a WOW factor... a yummy, chewy and chocolaty cake that makes you think you've died and gone to heaven... you know? ;o)

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 5:25pm
post #9 of 14

Here is my recipe for Triple Chocolate Fudge Cake, super moist, dense and very chocolatey

1 box BC Triple Chocolate Fudge Cake (w/ mini choco chips)
1 box DH Dark Chocolate Fudge cake
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa
2 cups sourcream
2 4oz pkg chocolate fudge instant pudding
8 eggs
1 cup veg oil
2 2/3 cup chocolate milk
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup mini choco chips

Sift dry ingrediants together and then add wet, mix until incorporated and then mix for 2 minutes. Bake at 325 until toothpick comes out clean. You may have to test a few times, sometimes I hit a choco chip and my toothpick comes out all messy.
You can't really half the recipe because the flavor comes from the combo of the 2 chocolate mixes so it makes a lot of cake.

jolie1977 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 6:09pm
post #10 of 14

Wow!!! Just from reading the ingredients I'm getting a craving for chocolate!!! LOL Would you ever use that recipe for a wedding cake? And does it make a "dark" chocolate cake?

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 6:39pm
post #11 of 14

This is my choco cake recipe so I use it for weddings, b-days, 3-D cakes you name it.
It is dark in color, but it's richer and sweeter then if you just used dark chocolate.
I orginally just used the BC mix but I like a dark colored chocolate cake and the DH mix makes a dark cake , so the combo of the two is perfect, dark and sweet .

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 7:34pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:

I just find that even the cake mix doesn't have that "amazingly delicious" chocolate cake that would make someone go "WOW.. that is AMAZING!" ... you know?

Sometimes it's all in their head. I'm always laughing inside when people give me the "Wow, your cakes are always so much better than any others!" and I'm thinking, "It's the same Betty Crocker you whip up at your own house!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

But I honestly believe that our "secret ingredient" is the love and passion that we put into it. It sounds corny as all git-out, but I really believe it.

jolie1977 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 8:17pm
post #13 of 14

I do know what you're saying and sometimes I think I put more pressure on myself than I need to... I just really want to have a cake that tastes as good as it looks! While we're on the topic of cake mixes that come in 50lb bags... any idea where one would begin to look on how to obtain access to that? I'm assuming you need to be in official "business", but it would make things a lot easier! I'm in Canada... New-Brunswick...

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 10:14pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:

JanH, I tried clicking on a few of the links in the thread you recommended, but they all keep bringing me back to the CC Home Page...? I'm dying to get into them though!!!! That link does look like it has everything I'm looking for!

Sorry, the CC links needed updating (although I'm not quite sure how they become obsolete.) HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%