What To Use To Thin Chocolate Or Candy Melts.??????...

Sugar Work By cathie_shinnick Updated 17 Dec 2009 , 10:45pm by cathie_shinnick

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 4

I usually use "paramount crystals" to thin my chocolate and candy melts. I am totally out, cake store opens late today and client will be here in an hour. Can I use shortning to thin the chocolate? Will it still get hard? How much to 1 pound of chocolate?
(I also posted in candy forum....sorry...Im in a hurry)

3 replies
tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 4

I was going to say vegetable oil - just a few drops. Also I took a candy class and the instructor there uses food grade paraffin wax (available in any grocery store-like you seal homemade jelly with). She just grates it and sprinkles some into the melting candy melts to smooth them out, increase pourability and increase shine. And it's cheap - think I paid $2.78 for a box of GulfWax (brand name at Walmart) - 4 slabs in the box and I used less than half of 1 slab for almost 2 pounds of dark chocolate candy melts.

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 4

You can also use Paramount Crystals. They are basically flakes of shortening. Not sure where to buy them though. I use Crisco, and put about a tablespoon at a time in until I get the consistency I want. I use the Wilton chocolate melter if that helps with figuring out proportion.

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks, I used a little shortning, it worked ok....but I realy like the paramount crystals. Im actually on my way to the cake store now, so I will get a large bag. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%