My Mom Used To Make 7 Minute Frosting (?)

Baking By JustToEatCake Updated 20 Dec 2009 , 8:19pm by smitakasargod

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 6:13am
post #1 of 9

And now that I thought about it it's a meringue <sp> frosting and I LOVED it. Isn't this italian buttercream without the butter and why couldn't IMBC be made the same way on the stove top in a double boiler with a mixer then add butter? Just curious..

8 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 9

It can! If you make it that way, it's just called SMBC. (That's Swiss Meringue Buttercream.)

Here's a how-to:

http://www.cakescanada.com/HowTo/how-to-SMBC.pdf

thumbs_up.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 9

I have a friend who brags all the time how good her Mom's 7 minute or boiled frosting is.....I tried it and yuck....It tasted like rubber and marshmellows melted..Sorry friend....I will stick with my WBH.

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 9

Ive maded 7 min icing for year i use it mostly for fresh coconut cake.dont know why yours turned out bad. how are you making it if mind me asking..I have a recipe if you would like may be the one you have..

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 11:13pm
post #5 of 9

I have never made it but I am not crazy about frostings that you gave to cook and babysit on the stove icon_wink.gif ....like IMBC and SMBC..I like my recipe for whipped bakey icing. thumbs_up.gif

smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 11:41pm
post #6 of 9

7 minute frosting is marshmallowy deliciousness icon_biggrin.gif
I've posted Paula Deen's 7 minute frosting recipe in the recipe section here. It's easy to make and perfect for cupcakes. It is the one I used on this cupcake.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1433571

ysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ysa Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 7:31am
post #7 of 9

ohh yeah i love the 7 minute frosting too..so do my clients..you must know the right technique to achieve the good one i guess..and the right recipe too..

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 1:49pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I have never made it but I am not crazy about frostings that you have to cook and babysit on the stove icon_wink.gif

totally (!) agree.

smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 8:19pm
post #9 of 9

I think the important thing is to use the corn syrup and not cream of tartar. Much more delicious with the corn syrup. Also add the extract right at the end to prevent a weird alcohol like taste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%