I Love These Wedding Cakes But There Is Only One Problem..

Decorating By JustToEatCake Updated 14 Dec 2009 , 4:26pm by MaryAllison

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:50am
post #1 of 7

Because I am a corsetmaker I have seen these cakes a few years ago (newbie at cakes) and they are stunning but there is one problem that bugs me and I know no one else could care less but they look so perfect. The problem is the lacing is wrong..lol...The lacing ties at the waist and the lacing doesn't go over, cross, under it goes up through a eyelet, across, down through a eyelet, across and up, repeat....who cares I KNOW I certainly can't do this in cake but I CAN do it in fabric..lol..

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://gracecakes.co.uk/images/cake28_roisin.jpg&imgrefurl=http://gracecakes.co.uk/gallery_pages/cake28.htm&h=380&w=300&sz=16&tbnid=UFDuchM1REzoWM:&tbnh=123&tbnw=97&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcorset%2Bcake&usg=__b5UzK_yInXOxpCsAI7Ujx-03snk=&ei=Zs8lS7a_Do6VtgeHlcHWBw&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=6&ct=image&ved=0CBUQ9QEwBQ

6 replies
makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 6:12am
post #2 of 7

so the one in the picture is correct-- or no?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 8:17am
post #3 of 7

Corset Lacing Guide:
LL

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 3:09pm
post #4 of 7

jan,

the expression "wealth of knowledge" was coined to describe people like you.
you have been a huge help to me and i appreciate it!

JustToEatCake Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeminepink

so the one in the picture is correct-- or no?

LOL no the one in the picture is incorrect..

JustToEatCake Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 4:13pm
post #6 of 7

This is the general lacing pattern for corsetry. There are a few variations but this is the one used mainly. The laces don't cross over/under because as the corset is tightened (I once made a corset for a tightlacer with a 13" waist) the sides come together and then can even overlap as the waist is reduced meaning longer wear before having to have a new one made. You can lace yourself, let's face it most people didn't have servants.

If laced properly the corset will tighten all the way up and down when the ends are pulled by the wearer. Sometimes a corset hook is used to pull each section of lacing for an even tighter fit but you can get it very tight yourself.

A custom corset actually feels really nice and if I'd quit eating/making cakes I maybe could fit back into all mine..lol...
LL

MaryAllison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAllison Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 7

I don't believe that I'll ever wear a corset or make a corset cake, but the information is very interesting! Thanks for sharing! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%