1000 Cake Balls

Business By jillmakescakes Updated 19 Dec 2009 , 6:30am by chelleb1974

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 4:24am
post #1 of 16

I lost exact count, but I'm pretty sure its just over 1000 cake balls that I made this weekend. My DH thougt it would be a good idea to give them to his customers as a gift and as a marketing ploy for me. Not a bad idea, but man are my arms sore.
He's taking 25 dozen to work, I'm taking over 150 to a networking meeting this week, and my mom is taking some (maybe 3 dozen) to her bowling league on Friday. Then, I have a few orders for them already, so the rest are going toward those.
Anyone who sells these on a regular basis, how many dozen do you sell a week?

15 replies
caseyhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caseyhayes Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 4:35am
post #2 of 16

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif Wow!!! I haven't done cake balls but once but my hat is off to you! Good luck!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 4:45am
post #3 of 16

I made 31 dozen this weekend and thought that was alot icon_surprised.gif Nothing to compare to your 1,000+ icon_smile.gif

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:02am
post #4 of 16

I just made some today. Yeah.....I'm Not really a fan.

I don't have the patience for tiny little things like that.

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:27am
post #5 of 16

Wow that's a lot. I just did some for this weekend and they were only 3 doz.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 6:50am
post #6 of 16

I found it is alot easier to roll the dough about 1/2-3/4 inch thick and use a 1" cookie cutter. And they look really cool, kind of like See's candies.

I had an order for 12 dozen and almost died, lol. ( I am weak, clearly!) and then when I knew I was going to do a bunch for the holidays, I made them rolled out and they were sooooo much faster and easier. That scooping and rolling gave my arms pain like working out at the gym (sadly, not the visual effects icon_sad.gif ). My kids got a kick out of 'em, called them 'cake coins'.

I know it won't always work but it does come in handy, also for sampling I was able to get 8-10 clean cut samples out of the equiv. of 1 cakeball. Used a toothpick and a silver tray - worked like a charm! HTH

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 7:12am
post #7 of 16

wow 1000!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif That's patience icon_biggrin.gif

three_sets_of_twins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
three_sets_of_twins Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 7:50am
post #8 of 16

I had to make about 1200 for a wedding, and around the same amount for a local holiday a couple months back. It took me about a week but every night I would just sit on front of the TV and roll what I could, then dip them all the night before. UGH! Never wanted to do it again. I have this GREAT assistant though, and we now have this thing going on where every dat morning I take her my cake ball dough, and wed morning I pick it up. she rolls them all for me and that saves sooooo much time. God bless her! And God bless you for making so many! I know what its like! Especiall;y when you have to decorate them too!

jillmakescakes Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 1:23pm
post #9 of 16

mamawrobin, don't kid yourself. 31 dozen is a LOT!!!!

I think I'm going to employ my niece (14) to assist me.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 11:04pm
post #10 of 16

my husband wants me to make some for his coworkers for Christmas, but I've only made them once. I wasn't able to get them to look smooth. They were a real mess and the dough started oozing out of the chocolate in places.

I might try it again though. He wants me to make a chocolate mint version and I'm thinking of also trying an orange flavored cake covered in dark chocolate.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 11:16pm
post #11 of 16

Oh your poor thing. I had to do this last year. I lost count after 68 dozen. (made them for DH's clients, my mom's 60 volunteers and then the others I sold.) I was on cake ball strike after that for a long time. It took forever it seemed like to get it done. Thank goodness it wasn't all due at the same time like yours, but over 2 weeks.

When I was selling items these were one of my biggest sellers. One person would always order a minimum of 3 - 10 dozen every month. She use to call them Satan Balls. She said they were so good they came straight from tapedshut.gif . There's a new marketing name for your cake balls Jill, Satan Balls. icon_wink.gif

jillmakescakes Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 1:50am
post #12 of 16

mkolmar, that is too funny!!!! I've already got two emails from the people that my DH brought them to so they can place an order! Free stuff doesn't always work, but is sure is nice when it does! thumbs_up.gif

three_sets_of_twins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
three_sets_of_twins Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 8:33am
post #13 of 16

my brother's slogan for them is "It's like biting into an orgasm"

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 8:24pm
post #14 of 16

I found that I ran out of patience when doing them. What is the secret when dipping? small batches of chocolate? Using a special fork to dip with?

I dunno....I didn't really like the taste either.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 9:49pm
post #15 of 16

Holy Hannah! That's a lot of cake balls! I hope you get LOTS of orders! I'm sure that you will!

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 6:30am
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinalicia

I'm thinking of also trying an orange flavored cake covered in dark chocolate.

These are awesome! I just made some of these to give out for Christmas. I also did spice cake balls covered in white chocolate.

Throughout the year, when I bake, I bust up the cake trimmings with my KA, and put the "cake crumbs" into a ziplock bag and freeze them. When I unthaw, I take the bags out of the freezer and leave them sealed. I have found that I don't have to any much, if any, to them for them to be moist enough to hold together. I use a melon baller to scoop it out of the bowl and then roll in my hands.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%