Knead Color Into Mmf In Ka?

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 14 Dec 2009 , 12:35pm by cakesrock

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 2:53am
post #1 of 4

Does anyone knead their color into their MMF in their KA? Do you use the paddle or dough hook? And does it work for coloring deep/dark colors like black and red? I HATE doing it by hand!
TIA icon_smile.gif

3 replies
juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 7:00am
post #2 of 4

I've seen a video in you tube where the lady shows how to make MMF in KA and at the end says that to color it she just put it back into the mixer, add color and the mixer does it's job (I would think with hook attachment as that's what she used to make the MMF).

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 8:33am
post #3 of 4

Add it to your marshmallows after they've melted and before the KA. Add some extra water too depending on how much color you use. My usual recipe calls for 2 TBS of water but I add more and a bit of crisco when adding color to avoid the dryness and headache of kneading in water later.

For example: for my last cake www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1532569 to get that shade of blue I added 1 1/2 tsps of color (Wilton Aqua - keep track of how much you add so you can replicate it in following batches) after the MM's were melted but before they went into KA (use a hand mixer to speed up the color mixing if you like - rub it with crisco first). But, before even melting them I added to the bowl 1 TBS of crisco and 5 TBS of water. It may seem like a lot but think of how dry MMF gets with the addition of color. Especially when you are going dark (many hours wasted trying to correct fondant brought me to experiment with adding water BEFORE it was disastrous and it WORKS!).

Hope this helps!

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 12:35pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the tips -I'll give it a go with the extra water! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%