Darker Colors

Decorating By arrianna Updated 14 Dec 2009 , 1:53am by tiggy2

arrianna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arrianna Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 12:57am
post #1 of 6

How do I make darker colors with frosting. I red but all I get is pink. I add a little black and it came out brown. I can never get the colors I want. I can do any light color but red is a huge issue for me.

5 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 1:02am
post #2 of 6

Add more red food dye. Make sure you are using gel paste colors NOT the liquid colors sold in the grocery store. Also, Americolor is better than Wilton, you get brighter, darker hues with less of the food dye than with the Wilton. However, you can acheive the darker colors using the Wilton gels. Adding black will not deepen any color, it will just make it muddy. Also, colors deepen with time. Color your frosting and let it sit. After an hour or two, it will "ripen" to a darker color!

CakeMom5001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMom5001 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 1:23am
post #3 of 6

I add 4oz of cream cheese to my buttercream when I need to make red and never have a problem. The longer is sits, the more deep the color gets.

arrianna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arrianna Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 1:33am
post #4 of 6

i let it sit overnight and it didn't darken up much and I also used a lot of the gel coloring. I made red once before and it worked ok but not this time. Last time it wasn't as dark as i wanted either.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 1:37am
post #5 of 6

For red and black that's dark with not a bad taste I use only Americolor gels. They are worth ordering. I add some pink first then the red and let it sit I never use the red or black the day I make it up unless it's an emergency. As for black I take all my unused colored buttercream that is leftover and put them in a large bucket and add black each time I add a color and let it sit. You get deep vibrant colors by waiting overnight.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 1:53am
post #6 of 6

Use chefmaster and you wont have to wait, no bad taste and use very little.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%