100 Serving Wedding Cake-Need Help

Decorating By sophisticake Updated 14 Dec 2009 , 2:16am by JanH

sophisticake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sophisticake Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 10:55pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone, i've been looking through all the old forums, but I'd like to get your thoughts, because a lot of what i've seen is for square or rectangle cakes.

I've mainly done party cakes, and don't want to let our first bride down.

She has requested a 3 tiered cake, where they take the first tier for their 1 year anniversary(planning on doing a 6"), so really we have 2 tiers to feed 100.

We use the 2" pans, but end up with 1" layers after baking and torting. So when you use the Wilton Cake Guide, is it safe to assume they equate a layer to be 2" their for a 2 layer cake is actually 4" tall?

If that assumption is correct, I could use a 10" round and 14"round (with each tier actually being 4" tall) to get a 106 servings?

Thanks for your replies in advance!

2 replies
JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 12:00am
post #2 of 3

The wedding cake I just posted was a 6, 10, 14. I like the look of a 4 inch size difference myself.
Yes, normally in a wedding cake you have 4, 1 inch layers with 3 layers of filling. My cakes normally end up about 5 inches tall.
As far as number of servings, if you have someone that knows how to slice the cake correctly, then yes, you'll get 106 servings from the 10 and 14.

Jodie

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 2:16am
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophisticake

We use the 2" pans, but end up with 1" layers after baking and torting.

Not that you asked, but I don't know how this is possible. icon_confused.gif

Are you filling the pans with the correct amount of batter, because if you do, you only need two 2" layers to equal 4" (with frosting and filling).

You're spending way more time than necessary just baking.... icon_sad.gif

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.htmll

Above super thead has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more!

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%