How Did I Ever Live Without This?!

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 14 Dec 2009 , 4:15pm by Cristi-Tutty

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 10:27pm
post #1 of 19

Holy cow! I bought a little clay gun at Michael's awhile back, and hadn't used it, until this weekend when I made an electric guitar and used it for strings. WOW!!!! HOW IN THE WORLD did I EVER get by without this thing?!?!

I'm looking back through all of my pics, noticing all of the details I could have done better had I used it for my other cakes. I LOVE this thing! Just thought I'd share. icon_smile.gif

18 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 2:46am
post #2 of 19

LOL! I use mine all the time too. It's so easy to work with and clean up is simple as well.

Glad you finally busted it out of the package. hehe.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 2:56am
post #3 of 19

is a clay gun like an extruder? because i think my extruder broke and would be great if i get something like it from micheals.

anricat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anricat Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 3:03am
post #4 of 19

Is it this?

I think I need one of those!!

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 3:09am
post #5 of 19

I love it too...it is great for decorating around the cakes....

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 3:28am
post #6 of 19

If you are going to get a clay gun/extruder, pay the extra bux and spring for the one with the hand pump. The ones from Michael's are fine and they work okay, but your hands get sore and tired if you have to use them for any length of time. I have this one ( http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=20006&name=Sugarcraft%20Gun ) that I bought from GSA... MILES better than the little makin's one I had before.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 3:36am
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

If you are going to get a clay gun/extruder, pay the extra bux and spring for the one with the hand pump. The ones from Michael's are fine and they work okay, but your hands get sore and tired if you have to use them for any length of time. I have this one ( http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=20006&name=%20Gun ) that I bought from ... MILES better than the little makin's one I had before.

I had that one and I will say this to you, is ok until you try this one..
http://designmeacake.com/catalog/i8.html

Once you use it you will never think the same way. Even arthritic people can use it!
Edna icon_smile.gif

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 3:42am
post #8 of 19

I agree Edna! Thats the one I have too (bought at Michaels)! Love it! And Michaels carry extra discs that dont come in the original package! Plus you get to use your 40% - 50% off coupons. I had heard too many bad reviews of the sugarart one so I never bothered with it. Plus I never bothered with the really cheapy silver one either at Michaels.
Oh if you ever do a parrot tulip (you tube or video) please e-mail me....why dont they do a spotlight on you here???

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 4:28am
post #9 of 19

Glad to hear it cause Santa bought one for my stocking tapedshut.gif (and I have a guitar cake for Jan!) Happy holidays.... icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 4:45am
post #10 of 19

Thanks Edna, I been trying to figure out the best one to go with. icon_smile.gif

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 4:52am
post #11 of 19

Edna, that's the one I have too and it is AWESOME!! I'd highly recommend it.

olsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olsen Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:18am
post #12 of 19

hello I'm planning to buy one of those but just want to ask which is better the Makin Extruder brand or the Sugarcraft gun which is more expensive?

thank you

tonedna Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 6:14am
post #13 of 19

I have used 3 different ones. And Makins is the best. I highly recomend it. The gumpaste comes very easy with no strain.
Edna icon_smile.gif

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 1:02pm
post #14 of 19

Ooooohhhhh, I love the one you showed, Edna! Soooo many discs! I didn't get that one, I got the cheapie, but for the number of cakes that I do, it's fine for now. Although I'm noticing my guitar strings look a little ... well ... drunk, right about now. Heehee! Not the strings' fault, more like the line in which I set up their pegs ... but oh well! icon_smile.gif

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 1:27pm
post #15 of 19

I had the push type extruder and used it once and it made my hands hurt so bad that I never used it. Then I used my HL 40% off on the "Makins Ultimate Professional Extruder" and it is a WORLD of difference. Just twirl the handle and it comes out so easy and smooth.

cib Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cib Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 1:40pm
post #16 of 19

But how big is the barrel on the makins one? My dh just broke my giant clay gun and I'd like to get another. Just don't want to pay the $60 again. Do you have to stop and refill the barrel on the makins? My small red/black clay gun is great for small items, but to go around the base of a larger cake, I need one with a larger barrel for greater quantity of fondant. Any suggestions?

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 3:02pm
post #17 of 19

i'm chiming in to say that the cheap extruder at michael's is difficult and painful to use. i wish i had spent a little more and gotten the green one.

tonedna Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 4:06pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cib

But how big is the barrel on the makins one? My dh just broke my giant clay gun and I'd like to get another. Just don't want to pay the $60 again. Do you have to stop and refill the barrel on the makins? My small red/black clay gun is great for small items, but to go around the base of a larger cake, I need one with a larger barrel for greater quantity of fondant. Any suggestions?

The makins barrel is bigger than the typical one, but is not as big as the
giant clay gun. That is a major buy and for what I use it I am ok with the makins.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 4:15pm
post #19 of 19

I bought one from my teacher..really cheap and like the Michaels one it is hard to work with....next time I will spent a little more in anything...

thank you edna...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%