Please Help...have To Call Back Today

Business By karateka Updated 16 Dec 2009 , 1:53pm by cai0311

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 9:24pm
post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cai0311

You all are not going to believe this but...
When I got married (2007) I had my heart set on mini wedding cakes. Along with the RSVP card, each guest got to select what type of cake they wanted. There were five options. Chocolate with caramel filling, chocolate with peanut butter filling, vanilla with strawberry filling (real fruit), vanilla with oreo filling and banana with mango filling (real fruit). Each cake was 4" x 4" x 4" square, had a small ribbon along the bottom and a small bow on top. The ribbon and bows were either both purple or both green and they were alternating at the table. So, the seating chart was color cordinated and the cakes were at the table when the guests arrived to get the full affect.

Any way, guess how much she charged me for the cakes....
$2/cake. I can't believe it. At the time I didn't know anything about cakes or I would have insisted that she charge me more. I don't see any way she could have even broke even on that order.

icon_eek.gif

That's like by son's wedding (before I did cakes), the teired cake with groom cake was $200. This was a couple of years ago. I don't know how she made money.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 9:28pm
post #32 of 39
Quote:

When I got married (2007) I had my heart set on mini wedding cakes. Along with the RSVP card, each guest got to select what type of cake they wanted. There were five options. Chocolate with caramel filling, chocolate with peanut butter filling, vanilla with strawberry filling (real fruit), vanilla with oreo filling and banana with mango filling (real fruit). Each cake was 4" x 4" x 4" square, had a small ribbon along the bottom and a small bow on top. The ribbon and bows were either both purple or both green and they were alternating at the table. So, the seating chart was color cordinated and the cakes were at the table when the guests arrived to get the full affect.

$2/cake. I can't believe it. At the time I didn't know anything about cakes or I would have insisted that she charge me more. I don't see any way she could have even broke even on that order.

icon_eek.gif Was she a friend/relative or something? That is SAD! Can't still be in business?..

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 9:41pm
post #33 of 39

Depending on how you look at it, that is correct. The cake was intended to serve one, so I think she only charged $2 because that was her price per slice for the style cake I chose. She didn't charge me according to how many it could have fed, which is the $0.25/slice amount (instead of 8 x $2 = $16).

My aunt bought the cake for my wedding shower from the same bakery. The cake fed 75 people. It was three tiers, each tier a different flavor and filling, with a fondant ribbon around each tier and a large bow on the middle tier or on top, I don't remember. I think my aunt said the cake was only $120.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 9:45pm
post #34 of 39

cai0311, I am speechless! That bakery can only have lost money on those cakes - wow!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 9:45pm
post #35 of 39
Quote:

Depending on how you look at it, that is correct. The cake was intended to serve one, so I think she only charged $2 because that was her price per slice for the style cake I chose. She didn't charge me according to how many it could have fed, which is the $0.25/slice amount (instead of 8 x $2 = $16).

And someone could tell me they want a 10" cake to serve 2, but that doesn't mean I'm selling it to them for six bucks, simply because it's "intended" to feed 2. They are paying for the 38 servings it's designed to serve. They are welcome to cut it in as many or as few pieces as they want ... they are paying for ALL of the work I put into it.

It doesn't work at KFC ... it doesn't work with most of us bakers, either.

cai0311 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 10:09pm
post #36 of 39

I agree, that she should have charged how many the cake could have fed instead of how many it was intended to feed. If she didn't want to charge per slice (some would have argrued with her since the cake was technically for 1) she should have charged a fee for the added work. A big fee!!

Spuddysmom-
No, the lady that did my cake was neither friend nor relative. I was looking for a bakery to do my wedding cake, saw her's and stopped in one day.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 10:44pm
post #37 of 39

it's so amazing to me that there are so many people out there who are doing "business" that are either naive or clueless or both. Why work for free or at a loss. No wonder so many small businesses go under so quickly.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 11:24pm
post #38 of 39
Quote:

That was probably the first and the last time she ever did individual cakes!

cai0311 Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 1:53pm
post #39 of 39

It wasn't the first she made mini cakes. She had several pictures of them in her portfolio in the front of her bakery. I don't know if she is still in business or not, I don't live in that town anymore.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%