Stucco Look On Fondant

Decorating By molly_36 Updated 15 Dec 2009 , 3:49pm by dsilvest

molly_36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
molly_36 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 5:24am
post #1 of 10

could someone please explain the "stucco" technique for me. I saw it on a couple cakes pictured here, but can't seem to find them now. Would really appreciate some help

9 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 5:24am
post #2 of 10

Not sure how others have done it, but I would sponge on RI.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 5:40am
post #3 of 10

I was going for a particular look and experimenting by grating some MMF with a cheese grater. It didn't achieve the look I wanted, but it did look sort of like stucco... maybe try that?! icon_smile.gif

molly_36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
molly_36 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 7:19am
post #4 of 10

I thought I read somewhere that crumpled wax paper could be used?? Would BC work also on the fondant?

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 1:25pm
post #5 of 10

Yup, sponge thinned royal or bc.

Jen icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 3:00pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

Yup, sponge thinned royal or bc.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Yes - thin royal icing will work really well for a stucco look! icon_smile.gif

ctirella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctirella Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 3:09pm
post #7 of 10

Monday, August 17, 2009
Stucco Finish

Want to know a secret? You can cover flaws in your fondant by giving it a stucco look!!

I was making a cake for a bridal show and for some darn reason the fondant wasn't working for me. It was just one of those days and you know we all have them.

So I sat there thinking "How can I cover this up without putting too much on it?" Then I remembered this stucco finish that I saw in one of the Wilton books. Can't remember which one though!!

All you need is some thinned down Royal Icing (RI) and a wad of wax paper. Make sure that you scrunch the wax paper a lot so that it is somewhat on the soft side instead of stiff, but not too soft or you won't get any definition.

Next, dip the wax paper into the RI and dab a little onto a paper towel or paper plate to remove excess RI and then start dabbing onto the fondant. Keep going over the fondant until you achieve the look you want. I also used a very small piece to get into the edges. Let dry and then decorate with a border you wish!! Very easy!

Tutorial and photos by Rhonda Christensen. 2009. All rights reserved.
This material may not be reproduced without permission from the author.
Created for you by Rhonda at 11:05 PM
gumpaste flowers, figure modeling, sugarart cake decorating, fondant, Stucco Finish
Reactions:

ctirella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctirella Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 3:17pm
post #8 of 10

sorry i lost the pictures,

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 3:17pm
post #9 of 10

I've used a stucco look for a few cakes. So far I've only used it for buttercream cakes but I'm pretty sure it would work for fondant too. I use tip 21 or similar with the jagged edges and just dab it in the cake. It's a little bit time consuming but it gives a lovely finish. The finish is not like chunky stucco, rather like the low-pile stucco.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 3:49pm
post #10 of 10

I also used thinned royal icing and scrunched up waxed paper. Because my layers were already stacked I took a paint brush and dipped it into the icing and dabbed it into the 90 degree inside edges.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%