Please Help...hot Chocolate On A Stick Problem!

Sugar Work By aej6 Updated 23 Dec 2009 , 3:02pm by teddybr218

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 4:05am
post #1 of 12

Hi,
I made these a few days ago in prep for the holidays.....Lindt chocolate melted down, mixed in sugar and cocoa as a recipe called for, mold, stick, solidify and wrap.....

What has happened to them? Any ideas? They look dried and old.....has anyone else ever made these and had this problem? I have about 30 of them...and they all look like this!!!! AGGHH!!!!
LL
LL

11 replies
twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 4:17am
post #2 of 12

I have no idea why this happened. Did you temper the chocolate? Are you trying to salvage these? If so, can you coat them in regular chocolate (of course chill or freeze them first)?

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 4:18am
post #3 of 12

did you temper the chocolate? The recipe I found online calls for real chocolate (not melting wafers) and that really needs to be tempered.

aej6 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 4:28am
post #4 of 12

I used the following:
http://giverslog.com/?p=3290

What I took from it was that tempering was NOT necessary....I did not temper the chocolate....
Just re-looking at that and will post on that site as well...

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 5:06am
post #5 of 12

"If you really want to go gourmet, use couverture (made for dipping truffles, which has up to 39% cocoa butter, such as this), and dont just melt your chocolate, temper it."

'Was your chocolate bar fresh? sometimes old chocolate looks kind of like that.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 5:07am
post #6 of 12

It looks like they bloomed around bubbles.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 5:18am
post #7 of 12

what does temper chocolate mean? how is that different from melting it?

aej6 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 5:23am
post #8 of 12

I would LOVE to salvage these....you think I should chill them and re-dip them? Wondering if the chocolate will just do the same thing again....not sure how to temper it and if it is worth it....so over tired and upset about this!!
Thanks for your thoughts on this.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 10:29am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by aundrea

what does temper chocolate mean?

Tempering is a technique used to stabilize chocolate and it requires specific heating and cooling temperatures.

Tempering is required for real chocolate, melting is okay for candy melts.

HTH

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 4:16pm
post #10 of 12

Blooming, by the way is separation of some of the oil. If you got the chocolate a little too hot, and then chilled them, that might have happened. The more I see them, the more I think that is what happened.
They are still fine, but try dipping them (in not too hot chocolate coating) so they look prettier.

aej6 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 4:34pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

Blooming, by the way is separation of some of the oil. If you got the chocolate a little too hot, and then chilled them, that might have happened. The more I see them, the more I think that is what happened.
They are still fine, but try dipping them (in not too hot chocolate coating) so they look prettier.

Thank you...I will try this again later today....

teddybr218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teddybr218 Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 3:02pm
post #12 of 12

Did you get them redipped? How did that work? And most of all did they taste good when you made the hot chocolate? I want to do some for a christmas present, I went out and bout the spoon mold and sticks for them, but not sure I want to make them if it is not good tasting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%