Never Want To See Another Dragee Again......

Decorating By JodieF Updated 14 Dec 2009 , 1:50pm by JodieF

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 5:10pm
post #31 of 45

Wow!!! What a beautiful cake!!!! It's awesome!!!! I want to make a cake like that, now!

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 5:23pm
post #32 of 45

LaBella.....she had the stand made. It was a simple wood base and then she had the skirt made. The fabric was gorgeous!

I know.....free.... icon_surprised.gif I probably don't want to do the math on what that cake would have cost if I could charge for it (and it wasn't for a friend). Let's see.....6, 10 and 14 inch round so 128 servings....fondant....all those sugar pearls placed..*lol* The grooms cake wasn't that big and I have no clue have to figure out the servings for it. It was carved from a 10 inch square carved on top of a RTK base.

Mommyle....I LOVE the quilted look! It's just a pain putting on all the sugar pearls. icon_rolleyes.gif

Jodie

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 6:54pm
post #33 of 45

So, I'll do the math...and I'm doing it cause I care.

6", 10", 14" = 128 servings x $5 (and that's on the very low end, I would probably charge more and I'm sure you understand why after putting on all those little dragess. it's why we say simple is never easy or cheap) = $640 + groom's cake $350(which I'm also underpricing) = $990! And they weren't even frineds! icon_surprised.gif

I personally would have charged $1168. And I know you do it, cause you love caking. Totally understand. You are FABULOUS at it!...but, just a thought, maybe look into renting a kitchen. Might be a possibility. icon_smile.gif

JodieF Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 8:04pm
post #34 of 45

wow....holy cow....Image

I'm incredibly flattered you think my work could be worth that much. I may have to ask some questions of the local Health Dept about rental kitchens and licensing. The DH just got informed he'd have to take another 10% gross paycut. He took 10% last January. So, any extra money sure wouldn't hurt. I'm not sure I could get that much for cakes in this area, but it may be a way to make a little extra.

Jodie

LaBellaFlor Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 8:22pm
post #35 of 45

If I didn't think you could get those prices or your cakes weren't good enough, I just wouldn't have said anything. I think we ALL know how HONEST I can be. icon_wink.gif

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 8:22pm
post #36 of 45

looks great in your fridge i can only day dream about it with ribbons and flowers!! good work and remember even though it was a free cake its was a free cakeing lesson ( to never do dregees again lol)

JodieF Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 8:25pm
post #37 of 45
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 9:04pm
post #38 of 45

The cake turned out really pretty!..Is one of thos hate to love kind of things!
Edna icon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 12:54am
post #39 of 45

Jodie, the cake turned out great!

JodieF Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 3:22am
post #40 of 45

Thank you Rylan....maybe one day one of mine might be as perfect as yours....at least I hope so!

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 3:51am
post #41 of 45

Did you use straight or bent tweezers? I went to michaels and got a jewelry making kit, with 3 sets of pliers/cutters and one set of bent nose tweezers - they definitely make all the difference. You can hold them more like a pencil - way more comfortable.

BecuzImAGurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BecuzImAGurl Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 4:09am
post #42 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodieF

wow....holy cow....Image

I'm incredibly flattered you think my work could be worth that much. I may have to ask some questions of the local Health Dept about rental kitchens and licensing. The DH just got informed he'd have to take another 10% gross paycut. He took 10% last January. So, any extra money sure wouldn't hurt. I'm not sure I could get that much for cakes in this area, but it may be a way to make a little extra.

Jodie

Totally agree...although many people say Chicago or lets just say Illinois is a city where its easy to find people who willing to pay that price...but its definitely not where I live...
I was thinking about all the options of just doing it for free as practice and hopefully I can start working in a bakery as a cake decorator or something...Love cake but I really like decorating it more thumbs_up.gif

Good Luck Jodie thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 4:25am
post #43 of 45

I do not live in a big city at all with factories shutting down and crazy unemployment. I can get those prices. People WILL pay for what they really want.

Lorieann55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorieann55 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 6:50am
post #44 of 45

Jodie, Great Cakes! Do you have another pic of the pirate ship? One that shows more detail.... it looks fantastic.

I really like doing grooms cakes, lots of times they are so much more personal than the wedding cake.

JodieF Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 1:50pm
post #45 of 45

The bent tweezers are a great idea! I'll have to check into them. At ICES I bought a pair of tweezers with silicone tips, but I found I couldn't pick up the little dragees with them.

Loriann.....I've posted the cakes to my photos. You can see the ship better there.

Thanks again all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%