Nut Mixture On Top Of Cookie...

Baking By TexasSugar Updated 21 Dec 2009 , 3:31am by TexasSugar

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 9

My grandma makes a cookie that is a butter cookie and before she bakes it she puts a spoon of a nut mixture in the middle. When it comes out of the oven and cool it then gets a little powder sugar/lemon glaze.

I think the nut mixture is pecans, sugar and condensed milk. I'm not sure she has a recipe for it, since I think she goes by feel. I want to make some of these but was hoping I could at least find some base amounts to use, and to double check if those are the things in it. I could ask her, but she just had surgery on her neck yesterday and will be in the hospital for a few days so I don't want to bother her with it.

Does anyone know this cookie or a cookie like it? I have no idea what the name of it is.

This is one of my favorite cookies that she makes, so I thought I'd make some to take to her house for the holidays, since she won't be up for baking. She's had a halo on since Sept, so she has been very limited on what she can do. She'll ben in a neck brace for 6-12 weeks but atleast it won't be as big and in the way.

8 replies
TexasSugar Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 9

It could be evaporated milk instead of condensed milk.

I went googling searching and haven't found anything like it yet. Sigh.

BooBooKitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BooBooKitty Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 9

Maybe you could ask her for the recipe.. Tell her you were wanting to bake some for a very special person.. Then when you show up with them she will find out she is the special person.. Or you could sneek into her kitchen and hunt down the recipe. lol.. but if she is anything like my granny was.. NOTHING was wrote down.. it was always a smig or a pinch of this or that.. lol... Good luck oh and BAM you had me wanting them when you said PECANS!!! icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 9

If she has a recipe for them I have never seen it. I've helped her make her cookies the last two years and for that part she just does it. I do have the recipe for the butter cookies they are on.

When she does it she always starts with the pecans then adds the other ingredients to it until it is the right consistancy, so I'm not sure she has amounts for it in her head either.

I guess I'll wait for her to get out of the hopistal and ask her about it. If I could remember if it was evaporated vs consensed milk I could probably just play around with it. The mixture isn't sickly sweet, but it stuck together well. I was thinking condensed for the sticky factor, but evaporated since it isn't overly sweet.

If I get the recipe or play around until I get it, I'll share it with you. icon_smile.gif

BooBooKitty Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 9

Keeping my fingers crossed you get it.. I love condensed milk!! I can't keep it in my house becuase if its here I use it in my coffee for cream and sugar.. lol.. It gives the coffee such an awesome taste.. Something my grandmother taught me years ago.. But now I try to use Spenda instead.. lol.. so if that is what the cookie calls for I will have to buy a special can just for the cookies.. icon_smile.gif Maybe save a spoonful for my coffee.. hee hee. Thank you for the offer and I hope your grandmother will be feeling and doing better soon..

TexasSugar Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 8:53pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you!

I'm hoping that the request gets seen now that it is moved to the recipe section? I don't usually come here myself unless I am looking for something. Of course the doughnut recipe got moved to the Lobby, and I got kicked out. Sigh.

TexasSugar Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 10:48pm
post #7 of 9

BooBooKitty, it is evaporated milk. I don't have measurements, so I still have to play a little but atleast I know what goes in it now.

BooBooKitty Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 8:10am
post #8 of 9

Yay, I'm glad you figured that part out... You have my total attention.. I would love to taste these cookies.. icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 3:31am
post #9 of 9

Okay I finally got around to trying these.

I ground up a 1lb bag of pecans and added 1 cup of sugar. I used about 3-4oz of the evaporated milk. I didn't measure it, just added the evaporated milk until the mixture sticks together well.

If you want the recipe for the butter cookies we use, let me know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%