Smooth Top On Cookies?

Baking By hugs28 Updated 13 Dec 2009 , 2:47am by hugs28

hugs28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hugs28 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 11

ok I have to make 50-60 pregnant belly cookies. I have figured out how to do it, accept for how to get the top smooth like I see all over here. Keeping in mind I have to go over the belly. I will attach a pic of the one I did, it is covered with fondant with RI decoration.

Also how do you store RI and for how long?

TIA
She likes the one with the bow down instead of up. She wanted a footprint, but I could not figure that part out, did RI footprint, but it didn't work out. Any suggestions, I know she would love to have the footprint, like the cake.

my try with the footprint lol

10 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 11

I think your cookies are super cute.

RI will keep for 2 or 3 weeks. Just press saran wrap into the RI so that it won't dry out then. Then put an airtight lid on the tupperware.

You might have to remix it (sometimes it separates). But that's it.

Hope this helps!

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 11

can i ask how you got the belly?

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 11

I think that your cookies look great.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 10:49pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sweetheart-

can i ask how you got the belly?

icon_confused.gif That's kind of personal. Ok then...from eating too much cake. Sheesh! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Actually...I am wondering myself. I keep staring at those bellies and wondering if they are filled with anything. tapedshut.gif

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 10:54pm
post #6 of 11

__Jamie__- lol icon_biggrin.gif

hugs28 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 3:07am
post #7 of 11

they arent filled with anything no. They are sugar cookies and I took a little dough and made a ball and pressed it into more of an egg shape, I think the belly is a little big, but I really wanted to get a smooth surface, it may not be seen in the pic, but its just finger smoothed. It is baked no more then normal time. Like the one is a little more brown then I want, but I wasn't sure how long to bake them due to the dough ball belly. But if you bake them til they are nice and golden, the belly comes out soft and yummy lol.

I put the fondant on while the cookie was HOT, so it melted, but it still is not smooth like I want it, I could do the RI on it, however I am not sure how well that will work going over the belly. If it was a flat cookie, np. This is why I am having a hard time working on the smooth look lol

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 1:30am
post #8 of 11

Hugs: I have some preg pics in my photos, but for some reason I can't see them, maybe you can. I did a smooth ball of dough on top of cookie, then I used RBC and draped it over the cookie. You could use RBC or MMF or fondant, and those cookeis will go so much quicker than flooding, you can detail with RI immediately. Hope this helps

hugs28 Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 2:27am
post #9 of 11

No I wasn't going to flood, I didnt think that would work anyway. Is RBC better then regular fondant? Never tried it before. I will give it a shot though.

I can't see your pics, all I get is 123 pages lol

The thing is you use the same cutter for both the cookie and the fondant, but with the belly you have to stretch the fondant first in order to get it over the belly part, that is when it gets a little messed up and not so smooth anymore.

thanks for the replies

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 2:40am
post #10 of 11

You can see that picture on my www if you want. It's cookie bouquet in a baby powder container.
Yes, I use the same cutter, if your cookies don't spread much, then it's okay, you can put a boarder around the edges if you want. Maybe don't make your bump too big. I get use the same method with my bobbie cookies (you can see on my www under fundraiser photos) I have made a foot before with my hand in RI, or you could draw the outline on a cookie and fill it in. Can't wait to see what you come up with!!

hugs28 Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 2:47am
post #11 of 11

They are very cute.

Yeah I tried doing the footprint with the RI and filling it in, but it just didn't harden all the way or something as when I put the fondant on, it kinda mushed it down.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%