Can I 1/2 Or Even 1/4 N.lodges Gp Recipe?

Decorating By CakeMommyTX Updated 12 Dec 2009 , 2:13am by JenniferMI

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 5:22am
post #1 of 11

I don't need 2 lbs, that and I only half 3/4 bottle of tylose powder, has anyone succesfully cut his recipe in at least 1/2?
http://www.nicholaslodge.com/gumpaste.htm

10 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 5:55am
post #2 of 11

I've seen a 1/4 version of it online, designed for people who don't have a stand mixer. I'm sure it will work fine.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 6:02am
post #3 of 11

Of course you can. Although if you are going to make it you might as well just make a whole batch and keep it in the fridge. It keeps for a good long time (even out of the fridge). I often make double batches just because if I'm going to muck up my mixer with gumpaste... I might as well make it so I won't have to make it for a while. icon_smile.gif

1/4 of a batch would be 1/2 lb of powdered sugar to one egg white and one TBSP of tylose and knead in a tsp of crisco. (that's off the top of my head... I actually just made some this afternoon... LOL)

CakeMommyTX Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 6:14am
post #4 of 11

Thanx!
I usually just add a bit of tylose to my fondant but I have some last minute things that I want to dry fast so I'll give the gumpaste a go.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 6:17am
post #5 of 11

There's no comparison between N. Lodge's gumpaste and fondant with tylose added...you should make the full batch, you'll love how easy it is working with it and how much faster it dries icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 6:20am
post #6 of 11

I totally agree with texasrose... Nic Lodge's GP is MILES above fondant with tylose in it. It is amazing stuff and all I use. It's much sturdier too. I bet you won't ever go back to fondant with tylose again. icon_wink.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 1:17pm
post #7 of 11

Ditto on the NL gumpaste. LOVE it. That is what I used to make 1,470 poinsettia bracts! icon_biggrin.gif That actually took 1-1/2 full recipes to make though. I keep it made up here all the time now.

Since you don't have enough tylose for the full batch, making a partial one will work just fine.

I am going to buy some CMC to make the next batch I do - just to see how it does.

sugartforyou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartforyou Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 2:00pm
post #8 of 11

I've done 1/2 recipe and its fine. This is the best gumpaste recipe ever, for me. All my flowers are done with this. Check my pics and you'll see that you can get paper thin petals, if used for flowers. I've never used it to model figures but I assume its fine to do too. icon_lol.gif

CakeMommyTX Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 2:37pm
post #9 of 11

Okay so ya'll have peaked my interest, I decided to wait and go to the store this morning and grab some more tylose for a full batch.
Cake store opens at 10:30am so I'll let ya'll know how it goes!
Thanx again .

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:04pm
post #10 of 11

I've never halved this recipe but I have made it and froze the leftovers. Works like a charm! icon_biggrin.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 2:13am
post #11 of 11

I use Nic's all the time...LOVE it. But I don't add as much sugar.

Jen icon_smile.gif
PS - It freezes really well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%