Hair Dryer Or Heat Gun?

Decorating By HowCoolGomo1 Updated 11 Dec 2009 , 3:32am by HowCoolGomo1

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 2:26am
post #1 of 5

I covered dummies and now I have cracks, dimples and a few wrinkles.

Anyone think a hairdryer or heat gun would work to help me smooth the stuff out?

The dummies have been covered for over a month.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 2:52am
post #2 of 5

i don,t think anything will help.. take it off.. start over with new fondant..

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:09am
post #3 of 5

Yep, you're right!

I was just starting to post my idea doesn't work.

I only tried with the hair dryer. I did get one little crease to soften, but that took 15 minutes.

After I really thought about the heat gun. Glad I didn't use it. I would have started a fire.

Can't be doing that, I don't think my insurance would cover, started fire by overheating fondant on styrofoam.

I shall drape.

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:11am
post #4 of 5

I would try some water to soften the fondant and smooth really well with your hands or a sponge. I've had to do this before and it seemed to work for me for minor repairs. I'm kinda surprised you have cracks and dimples in the fondant after only a month. What kind of fondant did you use? If this doesn't work and it's beyond repair, you can simply leave the first layer of fondant on the dummy and add another layer over that.
Good luck!

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:32am
post #5 of 5

I'm using Satin Ice and it's seriously over a year old.

I might add, we are actually experiencing some great weather now. When I first learned how to cover a dummy we were in drought and massive heat.

Now we are having humidity, hot, cold, hot, freeze, humidity...etc. So I don't actually know what I'm doing either. I might add I want to learn how to do it in this weather, because I want what we are getting now.

I was so proud, when I covered them. The first week they were perfectly smooth. The second week in the room that is the most conducive to fondant and gumpaste; I got the sagging, cracking and dimples.

It's all good. Won't be the first time I have torn the stuff off and started over!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%