He Went To............cricut!! Lol..........now What?

Decorating By SugarNSpiceDiva Updated 11 Dec 2009 , 7:01am by HowCoolGomo1

SugarNSpiceDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarNSpiceDiva Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 1:34am
post #1 of 9

Well actually he went to amazon! icon_biggrin.gif

DH and I decided since we are traveling for Christmas, and don't have much room in the car for the kids' gifts, much less ours, we'd give each other our gifts early.

I got a brand new airbrush (not the expensive one, but I still LOVE it!), and I got a brand new Cricut with 3 different cartridges. Woo Hoo! A couple more toys is one more step to my dream!! icon_lol.gif

Now that I have them, I don't know what the heck to do with em! I need to learn to use them. Any suggestions on practicing? I don't have a pasta roller "thingy" but can I just roll the fondant really thin for the Cricut?

TIA!!

8 replies
HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 2:14am
post #2 of 9

Congrats!; on the new goodies!

The airbrush is easy. Get some poster board and cheap stencils and go to town. Just make sure you clean it really well after each and every use. If you don't have airbrush cleaner, get some. You might also want a mask. If you have Americolor Sheen colors. You might need to dilute with vodka, they have a tendency to clog my brush. I get sputters.

After I clean mine with Vodka & airbrush cleaner; I always shoot at least 2 cupfuls of distilled water through it.

Your Cricut; that's another story. I haven't figured that one out. I'm waiting for everyone to share their ideas after Christmas. The only thing I have done is download Inkscape (free) and I did buy SCAL (sure cuts alot 2). I paid more because I wanted immediate download and the CD; so I could put it on other computers when my niece and SIL are here to visit.

Let me look quick. Some one has actually posted how to get it right. Ok, I thought I bookmarked the page, obviously not since I can't find it. I'll look at my machine 'cause I think I have it set for the right stuff. Hold on!

I might have it! Left 2 dials, top is set at 2, bottom at 4 and blade set at 4.

I also have the deep blade assembly, I think that's what you are supposed to have.

HTH.

Have fun!

mim1106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mim1106 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 2:35am
post #3 of 9

LOL, were you channeling the Jarods commercial, because that is all I can think of when I read your subject line. haha!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 2:55am
post #4 of 9

invest in linda mcclure's dvd on this .. it will help you. i have that now.. but got to get the cricut.. she also has a new one coming out now.. her site is deseretdesigns.com...hth

twincakesanabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twincakesanabelle Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:19am
post #5 of 9

Good for you. I don't have an airbrush but i do have the cricut personal (small one). It does work with fondant. The first thing I did was clean the mat from the sticky stuff. I set the machine 4 on top and 1 on the bottom the blade is on 4. I moved the rubber bands that are on the roller to the left like that you will not have marks on the fondant. The first time I put the fondant through the pasta machine on 2 then I put a little crisco on the mat and put the fondant on it leaving the left clear from the rubber bands. What I mean is don't put the fondant all the way to the left of the mat or else you will roll the fondant on it. It worked. The second time i just rolled the fondant very thin on the mat it self and put it through it worked. I did not put anything on my fondant it was fresh and i did not wait for it to dry. I learn some of these stepss from some of the memebers here on cc. I hope this helps you.

SugarNSpiceDiva Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 4:47am
post #6 of 9

Thanks so much everyone! I really appreciate all the tips. I think I'm gonna have to print this out, plus a few other threads. lol.

twincakesanabelle,

I think I may have the same one as you. Mine's small too. I was actually wondering about the sticky stuff myself. Thanks for the tips!! icon_biggrin.gif

mim1106,

That's EXACTLY what I was thinkin!! lol. That was the first thing I thought of when he gave it to me. lol. Hey, some women screech when their husbands give them diamonds and flowers. I screech when mine gives me cake accessories!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 5:55am
post #7 of 9

Now if you are new to airbrushing, and you are doing this at home. WAIT JUST A MINUTE!!!! The air brush will atomize the color into the air so make sure you don't have a fan on or even your A/C unless you just want to clean your walls and blinds, counter tops and cabinets etc....... make yourself a containment area so you won't send the rest of your life cleaning. you can use a large box to cover your area or if your husband is crafty he could build you one with air vents and every thing. Good luck with your new toy, I just got my Cricut also. Can't wait to play with it.

SugarNSpiceDiva Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 6:03am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdebssweetsj

Now if you are new to airbrushing, and you are doing this at home. WAIT JUST A MINUTE!!!! The air brush will atomize the color into the air so make sure you don't have a fan on or even your A/C unless you just want to clean your walls and blinds, counter tops and cabinets etc....... make yourself a containment area so you won't send the rest of your life cleaning. you can use a large box to cover your area or if your husband is crafty he could build you one with air vents and every thing. Good luck with your new toy, I just got my Cricut also. Can't wait to play with it.

Oooh, you're right! Thank you. I didn't even think about that! icon_rolleyes.gif

I also agree with HowCoolGomo1 about the mask. I played with the airbrush for a minute when I first got it. I mixed the AmeriColor that came with it with some vanilla. I think it got in my nose, cuz I was smellin vanilla for hours! lol. icon_lol.gif

OH, I have some questions about using vodka. First, is that ok to put on all cakes? I mean what about airbrushing a kids cake with vodka. Isn't that a problem? icon_surprised.gif Also, what brand of vodka is best to use when airbrushing cakes?

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 7:01am
post #9 of 9

I try to buy the vodka that has the highest proof. This sounds funny because it also means it has the highest alcohol level.

You can use lemon extract as long as it is alcohol based. This will give every thing you spray a lemon flavor.

I try to buy the cheapest vodka, which is usually the highest proof or Everclear grain alcohol. The alcohol evaporates, once everything dries. The smell on the other hand isn't pretty.

You can go to an office supply store and buy one of those things people do for dioramas. That will help box in all the extra spray. The good news is the spray color is definitely easier to clean up than the other kind.

I don't get a lot of overspray from my brush, but I would recommend wearing clothing you don't care about anymore. Gloves would be good, my hands, have a tendency to look like the '60's reinvented. No worries, it washes off.

Everyone have fun with their new toys.

Happy Holidays!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%