Which Is The Best Method For Quilting Fondant?

Decorating By tsal Updated 9 Jul 2014 , 9:26pm by roxylee123

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 12:25am
post #1 of 35

Is it the diamond rolling pin, the diamond 'quilter' tool, or the diamond impression mat?

Or should I just break out the ruler and use my quilting-wheel fondant tool?

34 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 1:01am
post #2 of 35

I would like to know the answer to this question myself.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 1:23am
post #3 of 35

I've used many methods, and I prefer the 3-diamond quilting tool. It takes a bit more time than the mat, but it, at least for me, is much cleaner and more precise than the ruler method. I still go over it with the quilting wheel after I'm done.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 1:32am
post #4 of 35

Hands down, the metal quilter. When the pix are back up, look at my teal butterfly cake -- I did the quilting with that tool.

Ladybug09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug09 Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 5:25am
post #5 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Hands down, the metal quilter. When the pix are back up, look at my teal butterfly cake -- I did the quilting with that tool.

What is the metal quilter & where do you get it?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 5:40am
post #6 of 35

jennifer dontz sells this tool.. she also has a dvd..she shows how to use this tool and make the cake so pretty.. other sites sell this tool also..but you might want to see her site and think about the dvd.... it is . sugardelites.com...

Ladybug09 Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 5:44am
post #7 of 35

Oh great..Thank you!!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 6:06am
post #8 of 35

wouldn't pressing the impression mat against the cake and then going over the lines with a wheel be easier? I just looked at the diamond cutter. Not being snarky, just asking for future reference. Thanks

bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 3:08pm
post #9 of 35

Madge, it's really a matter of preference. I cannot get the mat lined up for anything but I have no problems with the metal quilter. Sugarshack likes the impression mat, Jen likes the metal quilter. It's all in what's comfortable for you.

I got mine at a local cake shop, but yes Jen does sell the metal quilters and I think Sugarshack sells the impression mats.

bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 3:12pm
post #10 of 35

I don't know if this is going to work or the spam police are going to get me but here's the cake I was talking about where I used the metal quilter (and Jen's white chocolate fondant.) After I imprinted with the metal quilter I went over it with a stitching wheel. That gave it the poofyness (that and the fact there was buttercream underneath the fondant.)
LL

bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 3:14pm
post #11 of 35
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 4:30pm
post #12 of 35

I have both - the impression mat and the 3 diamond cutter from JenniferMI. HANDS DOWN the 3 diamond one is nicer....easier to use, and a much cleaner look.

Ladybug09 Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 4:39pm
post #13 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I don't know if this is going to work or the spam police are going to get me but here's the cake I was talking about where I used the metal quilter (and Jen's white chocolate fondant.) After I imprinted with the metal quilter I went over it with a stitching wheel. That gave it the poofyness (that and the fact there was buttercream underneath the fondant.)

Your cake is simply gorgeous & I love the poofiness too!!!

bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 5:00pm
post #14 of 35

Thank you! I had a lot of fun doing that cake because it was a "do whatever you want" cake for a friend's birthday and I had tried several new techniques on it. I think it turned out great!

Here are two other pix of a cake where I did quilting so you can see what it looked like on a wedding cake. Just don't laugh at my roses -- I know, they suck! icon_rolleyes.gif
LL
LL

tguegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tguegirl Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 5:03pm
post #15 of 35

I have the impression mat and I'm thinking the tool would be better. With the mat, you have to make an impression before putting the fondant on the cake because it's not sharp/deep enough to make a real impression once the fondant is already on the cake. My problem is--when you make the impression on a piece of fondant on the counter, the diamonds are nice and straight. But once you lift that large piece of fondant to put on the cake, it stretches and the diamonds become free form shapes!

bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 5:06pm
post #16 of 35

Tguegirl, I do them right on the cake -- no mess, no fuss! icon_biggrin.gif

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 5:19pm
post #17 of 35

Regardless of which tool that is used how do you get it to line up perfectly????

Just wondering since I would like to add this technique to my cakes.

cakeymom

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 5:23pm
post #18 of 35

The best way? This way: No way to screw this up. http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=630580

LateBloomer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LateBloomer Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 5:29pm
post #19 of 35

Icer 101 I absolutely agree with you about the Jennifer Dontz video. She explains the quilting technique so easily. Her cakes are always impecable and she answers any questions you might have. Really a wonderful person.

madgeowens Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 5:46pm
post #20 of 35

OMG Bob the cake is gorgeous!!! Yes I want to achieve puffiness.......well I already have on me, I mean on the cake hehehe.....thanks so much I put the impression mat on christmas list....need to sneak in one more thingy I see. Thanksicon_smile.gif

madgeowens Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 5:48pm
post #21 of 35

Bob your roses are beautiful as well!!!!!!

__Jamie__ Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 5:49pm
post #22 of 35

If you want puffy, you need the cutter I linked to. The cutter pushes the diamonds in, and the stiching tool helps to poof them out individually. An impression mat is not going to give you puffy. You need the sharpness to almost cut through the fondant.

Ladybug09 Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 7:16pm
post #23 of 35

Bob that wedding cake if beautiful & so are your roses!! thumbs_up.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 7:25pm
post #24 of 35

Like Bob, here is a pic using the three diamond cutter. The lines are sharper, and you can see poofiness, but shadows and lighting on this pic aren't the best.
LL

bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 7:35pm
post #25 of 35

Thanks everyone. I like the diamond cutter -- I'm just not proficent with the impression mat. Oh well. All my work is done with the cutter. Jen's videos have a section on using the diamond cutter too. That's where I learned it. Plus Jen is a dream to deal with -- ask her anything! icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 8:10pm
post #26 of 35

Here is the 3 diamond cutter that BWB and I have:

http://www.jenniferdontz.com/viewproduct.php?itemid=tol007

If you have any questions about it, you can pm JenniferMI here or contact her from her website, she is an absolute sweetheart to deal with.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 12:34am
post #27 of 35

Awwwww, thanks ladies!!!!

I, too, love the diamond quilter. All the cakes in my gallery that are quilted use that tool. LUV it!

Jen icon_smile.gif

lovinlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovinlayers Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 5:30am
post #28 of 35

I used a quilting mat to make light marks on the cake and then used the back side of one of my knives to emboss the lines more deeply into the cake. Then I used the end of a dowel to make a space for the button tuck.
It turned out well. I wanted to try this today and not hunt down a cutter since I already bought a mat.
If you want to see a picture check my gallery. icon_surprised.gif)
I enjoyed this and will continue to play with it.

WhitLasater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WhitLasater Posted 27 Jun 2014 , 7:56pm
post #29 of 35

AOld thread, can anyone recommend a new diamond cutter?

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 27 Jun 2014 , 9:56pm
post #30 of 35

Were none of the suggestions already listed helpful?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%