How Much Would You Charge???

Decorating By princesscatt Updated 10 Dec 2009 , 5:05pm by princesscatt

princesscatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscatt Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 13

How much would you charge for a 2 layer vanilla cake about 9x13, 4" high filled with chocolate pudding, covered in buttercream fondant accents and wilton large bear on top in buttercream?

12 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 13

9x13x4 = 48 servings + 12 servings in the bear = 60 servings total x $3.50 per serving (bc + fondant accent rate)= $210.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 5:11pm
post #3 of 13

Wow, that's a lot of cake. How much do you normally charge per serving and how many servings is in this cake - I don't know how may servings the bear cake is.

sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 13

Just based on what you've described my rate would be $150.

princesscatt Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 7:48pm
post #5 of 13

Here is a picture of what I made so you get an idea. I made two 2" layers and sliced them in half so it's 4 1" layers with choc pudding inside. The Elmo is the wilton bear pan and he is hollow.
LL

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 8:35pm
post #6 of 13

Cute Elmo cake!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 8:51pm
post #7 of 13

first of all, it's illegal to sell licensed characters

aside from that (looks like a square cake not a 9x13)......for a double layered 9x13 torted (cut into 4 layers) with filling I charge $64.00 ($40.00 for cake, $.50/serv. filling)
the bear on top (I'm guessing it's around 10 servings) is a 3-D cake so that would be $30.00

so my total would be $94.00 but I live in a very small town in Ohio where the going rate for wedding cakes is $1.25/serv. (crazy huh?........mine aren't THAT cheap though lol)

princesscatt Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 1:36pm
post #8 of 13

I did not charge her for the bear on top, just the sheet cake on the bottom. And the Wilton pan I bought said 9x13.

Thanks

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 2:12pm
post #9 of 13

Just out of curiosity. why didnt you charge for the elmo on top?? It took you time and materials to make it so you should be compinsated.

princesscatt Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 3:27pm
post #10 of 13

First reason is b/c she is a friend and I am just starting this cake adventure so she needed a cake and I needed the practice...

Second b/c you are not supposed to sell licensed characters there is some copyright laws that I'm not too sure of (even though you can buy the licensed pans), so since he was a seperate cake I did not charge for him.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 3:44pm
post #11 of 13

princesscatt- i LOVE your elmo cake great idea! i have to make one this week-end and that is wonderful inspiration.
i also noticed your oven, is it apartment size oven. aka easy bake oven??
because thats what i have - and it amazes people when i do cakes, that i can bake in this oven.
i sooooo miss my regular size oven in my old apartment. icon_cry.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 4:25pm
post #12 of 13

.........Second b/c you are not supposed to sell licensed characters there is some copyright laws that I'm not too sure of .............

Great thinking!!

princesscatt Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 5:05pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aundrea

princesscatt- i LOVE your elmo cake great idea! i have to make one this week-end and that is wonderful inspiration.
i also noticed your oven, is it apartment size oven. aka easy bake oven??
because thats what i have - and it amazes people when i do cakes, that i can bake in this oven.
i sooooo miss my regular size oven in my old apartment. icon_cry.gif

No that is a full size oven......wish I had industrial size! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%