Urgent! Damask-What's The Easiest Way?

Decorating By TatumCakes Updated 12 Dec 2009 , 4:20pm by bobwonderbuns

TatumCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TatumCakes Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 7:27am
post #1 of 13

I am making a 6 inch wedding cake that will sit on top of a cupcake tower. The bride wants black damask on light pink fondant. I've never done this before and it is for this Tuesday evening, Dec. 15th.

I can't decide if I should buy a stencil or an edible image, or if I should cut it out of fondant. I will have to overnight whatever I choose to buy, but I need to do it today. What is easiest? I've never done stencil or edible image. Any suggestions? Please Help!

12 replies
delisa01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delisa01 Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 7:49am
post #2 of 13

Here is my take for what it's worth (I have never done damask) Because you have so little time to order and practice, I would go with cutting it out of fondant with some tylose mixed it. That seems easiest to me. Good luck!

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 12:51pm
post #3 of 13

I have a damask stencil which I have praticed with and still find very difficult. Firstly, is this a round or a square cake? A square cake is obviously easier as the stencil can be laid straight onto the side. A round one would be very tricky. As you are a beginner and you don't have time to perfect this skill, I would roll out thin sheets of pink fondant and concentrate on a certain part of the damask design (like the centre pattern, then I would smear the royal icing on the pettern) and cut these out so they can dry. If it is a round cake, these stenciled pieces will have to dry on a curve so it would fit nicely ont he side of the cake. Lastly, if you are going to use royal icing and paint it black, the icing will be dark blue on the first day you make it. It usually looks darker the next day so I would dye the icing about 2 days before.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 3:53am
post #4 of 13

I think stencils are fairly easy but you may run into issues with shipping. It might be best to do as delisa said and just cut them out with an exacto knife. Good luck!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 3:07pm
post #5 of 13

And I think that stencils are by far the most difficult. I do a lot - a lot - of
damask cakes and I use cutters.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 3:23pm
post #6 of 13

Does anyone have a picture of the damask cutters? I've heard a lot about them but I'm not sure which ones they are.

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 5:37pm
post #7 of 13

I like stenciling, but if it's only a 6" cake, I think cutting fondant accents would probably be the easiest.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 2:14pm
post #8 of 13

I used RI and piped it onto was paper. Then I found out that it's better if you pipe onto parchment paper because when it's done drying it will just slide right off. But anyway, the image was underneath the wax paper and I just outlined it and then filled it in. Then I attached it to the cake with RI as well.

Mine went on a square cake. I don't think you could use this method on a round cake because it wouldn't curve around the cake.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 2:51pm
post #9 of 13

If the parchment were taped to the side of a cake pan...

If you opt for the stencil, and it's going on a round...measure and cut a piece of parchment to the height and circumference of the tier the design is to go on...then, on a flat surface, stencil on the parchment. Then, carefully(another set of hands would be useful for this) tape it to a cylinder with matching diameter(roll poster board or cardstock around empty cake tin to get size). Allow to dry

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 3:31pm
post #10 of 13

I just bought a damask clear stamp recently from Joann. I was going to experiment with stamping gel colors unto fondant, saw this on a website for stamping fondant. Has anyone tried this? Could this be a easier possability?
Hammy

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 3:43pm
post #11 of 13

I have tried it...I DID have a photo in my gallery...it works great...ya just gotta be careful not to get it between the pattern and not to get too much on it...or it'll give a drippy effect

the one I tried it with was the scroll stamps

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 4:16pm
post #12 of 13

bobwonderbuns - I think the cutters they are referring to are these at Sugarshack's store:

http://sugaredproductions.com/Cutters.html

and then adding other miscellaneous shapes to expand the possibilities

Edited because I hit submit too quickly icon_redface.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 4:20pm
post #13 of 13

Oh okay, I've got those. I just never called them Damask. I always called them lace cutters. Got it! Thank you! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%