The Kids Just Broke The Christmas Tree!

Lounge By Texas_Rose Updated 10 Dec 2009 , 6:32am by 7yyrt

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 12:57am
post #1 of 19

We put our tree up this afternoon. It's a fake tree, nothing fancy. And then I went to make dinner and the kids decided to crawl underneath the tree so they could look up through the lights. It's something that Val has done since she was about 2, but a 7 year old is a tight fit underneath the tree. I heard a big crash and glass breaking, and then kids crying, and I went into the living room and they were stuck under the tree with their little legs sticking out one side, kicking and crying. I picked up the tree and the kids were fine. The base of the tree broke though...there's not much that feels dumber than standing in a pile of broken glass holding up a heavy fake tree and trying to pick the ornaments off so you can take it apart.

And then Sophie wanted to know if Santa would still come if the tree was broken icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

18 replies
Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 1:03am
post #2 of 19

Poor woman, bet you didn't know whether to laugh or cry....

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 1:13am
post #3 of 19

Shelle, that's what I was thinking! I was laughing as I read the story, knowing that if I had to clean up the mess and get another tree, I wouldn't be laughing ... at least not right away. icon_lol.gif

But man, Texas, you're going to get a lot of "good behavior" mileage out of this thing! A good mom will hold it over their head for the rest of the month! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 2:03am
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Quote:

But man, Texas, you're going to get a lot of "good behavior" mileage out of this thing! A good mom will hold it over their head for the rest of the month!

Hear hear!

OUr tree broke too but not because of anything cute like your kids. The couplers on which the branches hang just broke off. As in crumbled and fell apart. DH will try to do tree surgery tonight.

I'm so pi$$ed. It's only a year old! Our last tree lasted 12 years. Sigh. They don't make 'em like they used to. (I sound like my mom)

Texas_Rose Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 2:30am
post #5 of 19

I think this tree is 4 years old, my sister bought it from someone on Craigslist and used it for a year, then handed it down to us because it was too much trouble to assemble. I pulled the broken parts off...this tree stand is beyond surgery. Tomorrow I will decide whether to get another tree or a stand. Right now I'd like to skip the whole thing...

...but when I was Val's age, I knocked down the bride mannequin in Cloth World. So I guess a tree isn't that bad.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 2:40am
post #6 of 19

I bought shatterproof ornaments this year and I love them! No more shattered glass to step on!

Texas_Rose Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 2:52am
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lardbutt

I bought shatterproof ornaments this year and I love them! No more shattered glass to step on!

That's a good idea icon_biggrin.gif Lots of these were ceramic ones I've painted over the years, or big glass balls that I glued rhinestones on (prettier than it sounds icon_lol.gif ).

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 3:22am
post #8 of 19

I'm sorry Texas, but I was laughing as I read this. I know if it happened to me I probably wouldn't be but when you talked about the legs kicking under the tree I about lost it. No one was hurt right?

I use the shatter proof bulbs, but I have some that are larger and can come apart. I fill them with candy Christmas Eve. When the kids come running down they love it.

Hope all goes well with the tree repairs tomorrow. (I'm a scrooge and don't even have mine pulled down from the attic yet.)

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 3:31am
post #9 of 19

Through the years as my kids were growing up, I always used the ornaments they made in school. When they became adults and married, I tearfully packed up each childs ornaments and gave them to them for their own trees.

Most beautiful tree back then...*sniff sniff*

Texas_Rose Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 4:11am
post #10 of 19

Well, I have a tiny tree that's a foot and a half high. I set it up in the spot where we'd put the other tree, on a little table, and plugged in its lights and told the kids that was going to be our tree this year. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

There were some long little faces on my couch and then Sophia took her dinner plate and sat on the floor by the little tree, looking up at it, and said, "Thanks for fixing Christmas."

Of course tomorrow while they're at school I will have to go looking for a tree stand. But it's a funny joke for tonight. Val was mad about it and I kept pretending that my feelings were hurt that she didn't like the way I had fixed the tree problem.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 4:29am
post #11 of 19

I'm sorry that happened Texas_Rose...but it is a really cute, funny story to the rest of us. icon_lol.gif And that Sophia is as sweet as can be. icon_smile.gif

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 5:59am
post #12 of 19

So sorry.... I've been there.
Last year our tree base was held together by duct tape, I kid you not.
This year we have'nt even put it up yet because of a certain 1 yr old who detroys everything. We are waiting until the week before Chritsmas, hopefully the shorter time frame will minimize damage.
I also bought shatter proof ornaments and no longer hang all the ones I had from my childhood and anything glass is'nt allowed in the house anyways.
I'm one bumped head away from padding the walls with bubble wrap.

Oh and I can totally remember climbing under the tree to look up through the lights, it was awesome!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 4:45pm
post #13 of 19

I'm going to tell my almost 7 year old about this because he's been crawling under the tree this year. He's never done it before but the cats sleep under it and he's been pretending to be a cat. icon_rolleyes.gif

mightydragon663 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mightydragon663 Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 5:20pm
post #14 of 19

Texas, that is the saddest, sweetest, funniest story I have read in a long time. Bless their little hearts. I am so glad no one was hurt.
I don't suppose Val would buy that it was a "Charlie Brown" tree would she? Good luck finding a stand. icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 5:54pm
post #15 of 19

When I read this I was thinking, "Man you should have gotten a picture of it!" Of course I know at the time you were just worried about them being okay, but what a picture that would have been. icon_wink.gif

ShelleyMJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelleyMJ Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 6:36pm
post #16 of 19

If you only had the camera ready! How Tom Bergeron and America's funniest videos would have been on my list to see it first.

I am glad the children are ok but the mental visual I am getting is making me laugh.

My 2 yr old grandson decided he wanted to climb my Christmas tree last weekend. Thankfully, Grandma caught him before he could do damage to himself or my tree.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 9:43pm
post #17 of 19

I would have grabbed the camera and Facebooked it before I pulled the tree off of them. icon_razz.gif

At least everyone is okay.

mrspriss0912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrspriss0912 Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 12:57am
post #18 of 19

Texas write this down in a book somewhere it will be a great story for them and their kids someday I'm glad the kids are ok but I did have to laugh great story thanks for sharing

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 6:32am
post #19 of 19

I'm a great deal older than your kids (and probably you too) icon_smile.gif but I crawl under the tree and look up every year. It is still as magical a feeling as it was so many decades ago.
Sorry they broke it... Tell them the secret is to keep very flat to the floor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%