Christmas Ornament Cake Balls.

Decorating By iceit4me Updated 9 Dec 2009 , 1:00am by bettinashoe

iceit4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iceit4me Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 12:36am
post #1 of 3

Can anyone explain to me how to make those cake balls ornaments for Christmas. They look so nice! I would really appriciate the help. Thanks!

2 replies
Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 12:49am
post #2 of 3

There is a HOW TO in the articles section:

http://cakecentral.com/articles/123/christmas-ornament-cupcakes

HTH thumbs_up.gif

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 1:00am
post #3 of 3

Below are a few different sets of directions I received from a few different CC'ers after I tried and tried to make Christmas balls last year. (I wish I had their names to give them credit and I apologize to all of you in advance.) I gave up trying to make them last year as I ran out of time and settled for cookie trees instead but am going to try again this year. The direction I received was great. I found the tutorial a little confusing but I confuse easily when reading something. I do much better watching someone and then doing it.

"I baked cupcakes as usual, and then used cake scraps mixed with buttercream (like when making cake truffles) pressed into a greased ornament mold to make the tops. I chilled them really well before unmolding them. Then I sandwiched them onto the
cupcakes with some buttercream and covered with a round disk
of fondant that I cut. I don't remember what the
circumference of the fondant circle was, but you ought to be able to eyeball it pretty well. I found that to be a pretty easy way to make the ornaments without trying to dry fondant inside a mold first. I hope that makes sense to you!

You could apply the same technique for a completely round ornament (rather than a cupcake bottom) by sandwiching to
molded sides together and covering completely with fondant."

"I do not use the plastic ornament mold...I use the 1/2 ball. Try after putting your fondant in the mold, putting it in the frig for a few minutes. I am going to try that next time. Now, I hold the fondant in the palm of my hand and place the topper cake (made from the 1/2 ball) in there and just form the fondant to the cake. I think if it is chilled a bit, it will work better."

"I use both cupcakes and the half ball pan for these, so I do not use plastic to form the fondant.
Cutting the cupcake and half ball cake flat, I put frosting in between to join them together. The fondant is put on the top (half ball) and tucked under before pressing the cakes together with the frosting. This makes them a bit top heavy, but if they are packaged correctly, it doesn't seem to bother! "

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%