Ideas Needed Please :)

Decorating By manomi Updated 9 Dec 2009 , 6:18am by manomi

manomi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manomi Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 10:55pm
post #1 of 4

Okay so I have quite a few questions. I hope u guys would be kind enough to help me with all the issues.

First i need help with this cake. Some one sent this picture to me but she wants to add a third tier. She said that she wanted the bottom tier as it is and a 3rd blue tier. I don't agree since i need to add trees at top and trees coming out of blue would be weird. i am thinking adding blue tier as the bottom most one..make it look like water and then cover the board with blue too and the place where cake meets the board just add some surfs to make it look more like water. What to u guys think? Any other ideas would be reallly appreciated thumbs_up.gif

Secondly she wants whipped cream and fresh strawberries. I am thinking of making stabilized whipped cream. How long in advance can i fill the cake. I like to fill and crumb coat my cake,then rest for 10 ,12 hours ,then cover with fondant,rest and then dowel. This way i get the maximum neatness and no bulges what so ever. But do u think it will be fine. I will refrigerate it ofcourse but still,i hope the cake does not absorb it. What is the max no. of days that the filling would fine.

Third and last (Sorry its long) i have decided to take the plunge and refrigerate my fondant covered cake (i use Satin ice). I m thinking it should be okay as the weather is cold and the fondant color is already mix and match so there should not be much problem with the bleeding (keeping my fingers crossed) . I will put it in a box and then let it sit out for a while before touching it. Do u think the RI scrolls would fine? Would they get soft and runny? Shoudl i use buttercream instead to make the scrolls? Also the fondant leaves? would they wilt in fridge? Should i put them on at the last moment?

Sorry its sooo long...but there are too many first ones for me in this cake and i am a little nervous .

Thanks a lottt in advance!!!
LL

3 replies
cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 11:11pm
post #2 of 4

I made a Strawberry Shortcake cake and used stabilized whipped cream in the layers with fresh strawberries. I put a very thin layer of buttercream on the top and bottom of each layer and then put the whipped cream on. I also dried my sliced strawberries with a paper towel as much as possible. We were eating the leftovers for a few days and the cake didn't get soggy at all. I also put the cake into the fridge and the fondant (Michele Foster's) did sweat a bit but none of the colours ran and I didn't have any problems.

I would probably use buttercream rather than royal icing for the scrolls and I would probably go with a gumpaste for the trees. Make sure they are really dry before putting them into the fridge and they may hold up better. Could you just add the trees before serving and leave them out of the fridge?

Hope this helps!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 4

I think I like the idea of the blue at the bottom too. However, if she or you really want the blue on top, you could always put a desert island in the middle on top and put the trees coming out of the island.... just a thought

manomi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manomi Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 6:18am
post #4 of 4

Thanks..I really like the idea of the island...i'll ask her which one she likes better...
Thank you thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%