First Impression Snow Flake Mold Advice

Decorating By izzy1953 Updated 16 Dec 2011 , 1:24pm by soozicake

izzy1953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzy1953 Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 14

i am looking for tip, hints, advice on making snowflakes with the first impression snowflake molds to get the best results...........has anybody ever filled them with royal icing or do you just use gumpaste? im a little stumped......

13 replies
Ednarooni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ednarooni Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy1953

i am looking for tip, hints, advice on making snowflakes with the first impression snowflake molds to get the best results...........has anybody ever filled them with royal icing or do you just use gumpaste? im a little stumped......

When I tried to get them out (and I put them in the freezer even), it still broke... I "finally" got another mold to work, the Sunflower art snowflake mold by slowly pulling at the tips of the snowflake and slowly go down..lol Good luck, I hope someone comes on and tells us as the First Impression mold is SUCH a pretty mold...both of them are.. Didn't know you could put royal icing in them..that sounds interesting.. I have only used fondant.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 14

Roll out gumpaste and rub generously with Crisco in a fine even coat. Push into mold and scrape away the excess and smooth out the gumpaste flat. Allow to firm up a couple minutes. Firming can be done in the freezer. Rub more Crisco onto the back. the Crisco will act like glue that will hold the design onto the wax paper, but allow it to be lifted off later. Turn mold over onto wax paper. Push the mold down and while holding most of it down start peeling up one side. See that your design is being left on the wax paper and is not stretching out of shape. If it is stretching out of shape then you were moving the mold around while peeling it off. Peeling off the mold should be done in a straight and continuous motion. Let your design harden on the wax paper a while before trying to lift it off.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 14

sadsmile - WOW THANK YOU! I was ready to throw mine in the box with my other useless items. I was very disppointed when it arrived and saw how small the individual molds were. Wish they would make a mold with laarger sizes that you can see.

I did not have any sucess when I tried making the snowflakes using gumpaste and freezing. I will try your suggestions. I also have the tiny holly leaf mold and that is just as bad so I will try your technique with that one also.

Thanks so very much for sharing.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 4:50pm
post #5 of 14

I have a first impressions lace mold. L197 Scroll Set 2 x 3 The cavities are very shallow, less then 1/8 of an inch- Very very shallow and that is what worked the best for me to get the design out successfully with all the detail. The Snowflake mold are much more detailed but it still should work.

three4thequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
three4thequeen Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 3:55am
post #6 of 14

Does anyone know where I can buy one of the first impression snowflake molds today? Everyone I can find is sold out and I really need this mold for a wedding cake this month. Suggestions???

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 4:14am
post #7 of 14

Check www.firstimpressionsmolds.com
By the way, chocolate works like a dream with the first impressions molds.
Edna icon_smile.gif

three4thequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
three4thequeen Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 4:31am
post #8 of 14

Awesome, awesome, awesome, I got it, I got it, I got it. I can't wait to make lots and lots of tiny snow flakes!!! Woo Hoo!

Thanks Tonedna

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 6:54am
post #9 of 14

I just got my snowflake from first impression in the mail a couple days ago. The mold I got was about 2.5 inches or so. Just to try it out, I threw some rolled buttercream I had made up in there. Stuck it in the freezer and after about 15 minutes, I could sort of just plop it out. I did make sure the back was flush, so when I attach it, it lays flat. Ya know, no extra on the top of the mold. Which, with the intricate design was a bit tricky.

Rolled buttercream has shortening in it (I use crisco) so maybe that's why it came out so easily. I let it set out a day or two and by the end of the second day I could pick it up like a candy.

BooBooKitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BooBooKitty Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 6:31pm
post #10 of 14

Oh I love cakes with snowflakes on them. Thanks Edna for the link, I am going to have to look around their site.

MINDYG14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MINDYG14 Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 7:31pm
post #11 of 14

I have the First Impressions snowflake mold. These snowflakes are so shallow and small I am having a problem getting the fondant to stick in the mold. I also can not get the excess off the top without lifting the snowflake back out of the mold. Help! icon_cry.gif

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 8:07pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Roll out gumpaste and rub generously with Crisco in a fine even coat. Push into mold and scrape away the excess and smooth out the gumpaste flat. Allow to firm up a couple minutes. Firming can be done in the freezer. Rub more Crisco onto the back. the Crisco will act like glue that will hold the design onto the wax paper, but allow it to be lifted off later. Turn mold over onto wax paper. Push the mold down and while holding most of it down start peeling up one side. See that your design is being left on the wax paper and is not stretching out of shape. If it is stretching out of shape then you were moving the mold around while peeling it off. Peeling off the mold should be done in a straight and continuous motion. Let your design harden on the wax paper a while before trying to lift it off.

I love my First Impression molds and haven't really had any trouble getting mine out of the molds, etc., but I love this idea you shared "sadsmile."

MINDYG14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MINDYG14 Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 12:59pm
post #13 of 14

Yesterday I was reading a past post that you wrote to another girl with a simular problem. Idid not think that it would work for my issue. Last night I went home and to my suprise it worked wonderful!! I put a tiny amount of the crisco on each ball of fondant before I pushed them in each snowflake. The fondant did not stick to my fingers and it made the fondant stick in the mold making it easier to clean off the excess. Thank you for your help!! icon_biggrin.gif

soozicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soozicake Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 1:24pm
post #14 of 14

I have a variety of molds including self made. I've always used the dusting of corn starch/corn flour method with good success (using fondant). The first one always sticks but from then on is good. Sometimes it would be handy to have a few extra thumbs and fingers to be able to flex the mold to drop the fondant out! Will try Crisco, might be easier, thanks for sharing your technique. I have used chocolate with great success but (depending on size/design) may break when de-molding if choc is too cold. I allow to warm back toward room temp a bit if I left in freezer too long. Cheers

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%