Igloo Idea For You...

Decorating By sweetcakes Updated 8 Dec 2009 , 4:51am by sweetcakes

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 8

at our cake club meeting last week i did a demo on how to make a sugar igloo. i used half the sports ball pan and filled with damp sugar,tipped out, marked the bricks, let dry then scooped out the inside. did the same for the tunnel part using half a yogurt pot, although that is a bit trickier, THEN once its all dry you can put a battery operated tea light in side and the igloo glows!!!! It is pretty cool and looks great with all the penquins. we also made fondant penquins at the club meeting too. i didn;t get to take pictures but once my friend send me them i will post one. Thought this might help someone with plans for an igloo cake.

7 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 11:05pm
post #2 of 8

That sounds so cute!

gabitusm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabitusm Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 11:38pm
post #3 of 8

I have never worked with this technique before so pardon the stupid question, but how do you this? You heat the sugar with water, you pour it and then you let it dry? Can it be done with all kinds of molds?

TIA

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 11:47pm
post #4 of 8

That sounds like a great idea! I keep meaning to try sugar molds.

gabitusm, when I've read about it, it's adding water to sugar and mixing it up without heat until it's wet enough to hold its shape in a mold. The recipes that I've seen are about 2 cups of granulated sugar to 4 tsp water.

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 12:00am
post #5 of 8

Sounds like such a cute idea! I've done some molded sugar stuff in the past, and it's fun. But you have to be careful about getting any moisture into the sugar or it will fall apart. I imagine it would be okay to place the igloo on fondant, but not buttercream.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 12:05am
post #6 of 8

If you have any books or articles on making Panorama Sugar Eggs, it's exactly the same idea.
There are some people who don't actually pack the ball pan completely w/sugar; just make it already w/a hole in the center.... shove the wet sugar to the edges until it is about 1/2" thick all thru the ball, then take a piece of cardboard; place it over the ball, and turn the whole thing over; remove the pan - hope you understand that. This is much more fragile until it dries but it can be done icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 12:14am
post #7 of 8

Unless you have a half round syro ball you can shove in there. Yhat would support it and give you a nice hollow, but would it keep it from drying properly?

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 4:51am
post #8 of 8

like someone else said you add water until you can grab a handful and when you open your fingers the sugar keeps its shape, kind of like wet sand. it is the same as panoramic eggs. When i tipped out the sugar shape i used round cookie cutters gently lowered on top to indent the ring around for the bricks. i did this twice then for the lowest brick line i held a skewer level and turned the turntable with the igloo on it to mark the line. Then marked vertical lines to make it into bricks. You can place it in a 200 degree oven for an hour or so, (not quite sure on the time frame) or let dry over night. Then empty out the insides and scrape the shell down to as thin as you want it. it will be fine on a buttercream iced cake. its like a sugar cube.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%