Problem With Linzer Cookie Cutter..........

Baking By sweetcravings Updated 14 Dec 2009 , 12:34am by staceycake

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 8

I bought a linzer cookie cutter set similar to this...

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.cakescookiesandcraftsshop.co.uk/acatalog/linzer-cookie-set-3.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.cakescookiesandcraftsshop.co.uk/acatalog/Linzer_Cookie_Cutter_Set.html&usg=__whLWCqc0ErythE1k9SlH98PSy0U=&h=300&w=300&sz=17&hl=en&start=5&um=1&tbnid=cYYo8t24Op6_UM:&tbnh=116&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dlinzer%2Bcookie%2Bcutter%2Bset%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1R2ADBS_en%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

I just used it for the first time the other day and had issues with it. Firstly the scalloped cutter kept falling out of the cutting unit..don't know why? Secondly the part of the cutter that makes the top design didn't want to cut through my dough. I tried different shapes and still when i went to cut the dough all i was left with was an imprint of the shape in the middle. Then when i tried to push the whole thing out it left an unsightly ring on the dough where the blue part touches the cookie dough..am i making myself clear..i know kinda confusing unless you were with me.lol icon_smile.gif
Anyhow, anyone know why i had these issues? Was my dough not thick enough, cold enough? I ended up just taking the little cutter for the middle out of the linzer cutter and pushed them in by hand (not very pleasent when you are making dozens of these things..not to mention the cutter top is quite sharp).
I'm thinking this was a great idea but now i'm kinda thinking the old fashioned way of doing it is easier.
Any tips before i throw this in the garbage.?

7 replies
Magna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magna Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 8

Did you use linzer cookie recipe? I have noticed that if I try to use my cutter with a different dough the cutter does not work as well. And I think you may need to roll your dough out thiner. But I have never had problems with the scalloped cutter, not sure why it would do that.

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 8

I don't have problem eighter, I think I roll my about 5 mm. I lightly flour my surface, all the time.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 10:07pm
post #4 of 8

Well, i used my MIL cookie dough recipe..she always made them in the linzer shape and filled them with apricot jam. She never had fancy cutters, just used a small round cookie cutter and a small cup for the center circle. icon_wink.gif
I did roll it really thin, and had the surface floured..still not sure what i did wrong. The whole cutter set was in separate peices when i opened the box.

Magna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magna Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 12:15am
post #5 of 8

You probably did not lock the circle in place. I remember the first time I used my cutter, it took me few tries to lock everything in place.

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 2:21pm
post #6 of 8

sweetcravings
I answered to this post a few days ago....and guess what. This morning I made mine Linzer cookies, and it happened to me as well!! Last year I was quiet happy with those cutters, but this time one of the middle cutters broke from the locker, and I ended up cutting them individually/manually just like you. And with every cut I had to think of you and my respond to you in this post icon_biggrin.gif
So: it was not your recipe; it was not you, those cutters are just another cr@p from China. icon_mad.gif
Out of my chest....

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 8

I don't have the cutter for these. I just use a round cutter, then for something fun I use the mini holiday shaped cookie cutters. icon_smile.gif We put raspberry jam in ours. Mmmm, I still have to make these up this year.

staceycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceycake Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 12:34am
post #8 of 8

I also had the middle cutters break out of the locker when I used my set last year. Very frustrating! I think that TexasSugar's idea of using the mini-themed cutters to cut out the center would cause less problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%