Topsy Turvy Cake Help??? Need To Cover In Buttercream!!!

Decorating By SweetChar Updated 10 Dec 2009 , 8:46pm by cakebaker1957

SweetChar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetChar Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 3

I need to make a two tier topsy turvy cake and the customer does not want fondant. I have never done a cake like this before. Could someone please help me with this???? I'm not sure if I should ice it first and then stack it or vice versa? And if I do ice it first how do I stack it without messing up the icing? All help appreciated and if anyone knows where I could find a tutorial that would be great too!! Thanks!! I attached a picture of the cake she would like.
LL

2 replies
Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 11:43pm
post #2 of 3

This is a tutorial on how to make a topsy turvy. Topsy Turveys can be done in BC. You would have to make sure they are nicely chilled before you stack, that way it is not as easy to mess up the frosting. I would ice each tier individually than stack. And if you mess up the icing just a bit, you can always fix it. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 8:46pm
post #3 of 3

Look at my 2 tiered TT cake in my photos The one with christmas balls coming out of the top its BC with fondant accents . What i do is i use dowel rods cut to level of the bottom cake, then i transfer the cakes to the site, i leave the dowel rods sticking up out of the bottom cake i hold the 2nd cake over the cake and let it rest on the dowel rods, just make sure there about 2in above the cake then i set the cake on top of the rods and just let it go . Like magic it floats down onto the top of the cake, HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%