Is This Good Enough?

Decorating By JuneBugBaby Updated 7 Dec 2009 , 7:22pm by Trish43

JuneBugBaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneBugBaby Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 19

This is my first 2 tier cake and I think it looks okay. It's not centered and there are many other flaws but I am hoping it looks good enough to take in. This is for my mom's Christmas party. It's a free cake, so free is free but I don't want to embarrass myself. What do you guys think? Keep in mind this is my FIRST 2 tier cake ever icon_smile.gif
LL

18 replies
stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 19

Yes, free is free. and yes, it is good enough!

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 19

Plenty good enough, well done you!

reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 19

Looks good to me. Like you said, it's not centered but that is even hard from me sometimes (been at it for 5 yrs now). The only other thing besides keeping up the good work is:
Try rolling out you fondant and using the end or a piping tip cut out circles. Roll into balls and then place on the cake. Gives a more uniform size for all the balls.

Great job! thumbs_up.gif

Love2BakeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Love2BakeCakes Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 7:39pm
post #5 of 19

I think your work looks just fine. Be proud, you did a great job. thumbs_up.gif

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 7:46pm
post #6 of 19

I think you did a great job, I sure would take it, if you don't want to bring it to the Christmas party. lol

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 8:01pm
post #7 of 19

First--I hope my first two tiered cake goes as well.

Seondly everyone will go "ooooohhhhh" and "ahhhhhhh". Just enjoy the compliments.

It looks great.

whit6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whit6 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 8:20pm
post #8 of 19

Reenie- that is a great tip on making the balls! Iv never heard that before and I always struggle getting them to be uniform and end up spending WAY too much time on something so simple. Thank you!

dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 8:49pm
post #9 of 19

I would have to say for your first 2 tier cake, it is pretty good. The centering takes practice, keep at it though, your on your way! princess.gif

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 8:51pm
post #10 of 19

I would be proud if my daughter had made that cake for me. Free or not, it's a great job!

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 10:19pm
post #11 of 19

Cake looks great, definitely good enough for a free cake and definitely good enough for your second cake.

I am going to offer a suggestion. The aluminum foil base could use some work. I'd suggest some fanci-foil (wilton) or a more decorative foil. The aluminum foil tends to cut with the cake and leave scraps with each cake slice.

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 10:23pm
post #12 of 19

Your an absolute doll for making such a lovely cake. Looks great!!

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 10:23pm
post #13 of 19

duplicate post--- sorry-

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 2:11am
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenie

Looks good to me. Like you said, it's not centered but that is even hard from me sometimes (been at it for 5 yrs now). The only other thing besides keeping up the good work is:
Try rolling out you fondant and using the end or a piping tip cut out circles. Roll into balls and then place on the cake. Gives a more uniform size for all the balls.

Great job! thumbs_up.gif

I kind of like the odd shaped size balls if it is meant to be, anyway. I can see she was trying to go for the same size, but different sizes are okay too.

The only thing I see to complete the cake would be a border on the bottom. Other than that, for a first 2-tiered cake, GREAT JOB!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 2:58am
post #15 of 19

I think it looks great too. I agree with the foil comment (I use freezer paper for all mine), and I was going to suggest a bottom border also.

They're all going to love it!

JuneBugBaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneBugBaby Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 4:14pm
post #16 of 19

Reenie - Thank you for the ball tip! I would have never thought of that! I will try that next time.

As for the bottom border I ran out of fondant & icing so that is why I didn't do anything on the bottom. It was luck that I even had enough to do the balls at the top!

Thank you guys for the advice on the foil around the bottom. Previous cakes I've used pre-bought circles but I didn't have time to buy one this time so I made one. But I didn't realize they had special foil! Thanks, I'll check that out!!

obabassa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
obabassa Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 4:40pm
post #17 of 19

Looks great for your first tier cake.
Here's a little tip for getting the top tier centered. Take the cake pan that is the same size as your top cake. Use the pan to figure out where it needs to be to be centered. Make a mark in the bottom tier to outline where the pan laid when it was centered. This should help you get the top tier centered.

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 6:59pm
post #18 of 19

For centering I do the same as obabassa said except I use those cake cardboard circles. Same ides, just different media.

This looks great, and I agree everyone will be going "ooooohhh" and "ahhhhh".

Remember that you built it, so you critique it harder than anyone else will. Most the people that look at it will see an awesome overall cake. Some will wish they could do something likt that, even fewer would try. So be proud and don't stress over it... you did an awesome job.

Trish43 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trish43 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 7:22pm
post #19 of 19

Your cake looks great! I would love to have at my Christmas party.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%