Wires Sticking Out Of Cake... Wont Stay

Decorating By JuneBugBaby Updated 8 Dec 2009 , 1:12pm by Cakepro

JuneBugBaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneBugBaby Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 7:20pm
post #1 of 14

I added silver wire out of my cake with the little fondant balls and the wire wont stay in the cake, it keeps falling down. Is my wire to thick? Thin? What am I doing wrong?
LL

13 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 14

You need to stick them in a straw ( like a coffee stir stick) first. Don't stick the wires directly into the cake.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 14

i think your wires are way too thin , the weight of the fondant will pull it down

JuneBugBaby Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 14

Oh a straw is a good idea. perhaps that will do for this cake then I can buy thicker wire next time. This was the tickest I could find at Michaels, where can you buy thicker wire?

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 14

you're best of trying cake supply stores, or sugar craft sites online. the ones i get from my local store are food safe so can go into the cake , it could vary where you live though so be sure too check first and use other options if you have too

tomswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomswife Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 14

Also, I would say that if you bend the wire around a pen, pencil, paintbrush , or say a small rolling pin, you are going to get better looking wire, and with it being wound around like that, it creates a bit more stability. Hope this helps. And I never have stuck my wire in anything, I stick it right in the cake, I think it may also be in that bending of the wire. Also, when you are purchasing the wire, make sure you get the guage that is heavier. Good luck!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 8:54pm
post #7 of 14

I also vote for coffee stirrer sticks.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 10:19pm
post #8 of 14

You can squirt some melted choc. into the coffee stir straw, place the wire, then lay them on their sides until dry (only take a min).
This way, when you remove the wires, the straws will come out too & no hunting for the straws.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 10:43pm
post #9 of 14

You can squirt some melted choc. into the coffee stir straw, place the wire, then lay them on their sides until dry (only take a min).
This way, when you remove the wires, the straws will come out too & no hunting for the straws.

JuneBugBaby Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 11:10pm
post #10 of 14

I like the chocolate in the straw idea. Since I don't have the straws and I am taking this cake in the morning i am going to try and wrap them a bit tighter around something to see if I can get them a little more stable. I just have to make it to the office, then it will be gone in a few minutes! haha...

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 11:51pm
post #11 of 14

If you haven't tried the lollipop sticks, the wires will slide right down the middle of them and they work GREAT!!!! You don't have to glue or anything because it takes a tiny bit of force, but not enough to bend your wire to get them in. Those lollipop sticks are wound so there is a tiny tiny space in the dead center. And you can cut the lollipop sticks any length you want.

momdalejr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momdalejr Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 12:32am
post #12 of 14

I am soooooooooo glad you asked that question.. The same was happening to me..an to think all I needed was a coffee stir. Thank you!

JuneBugBaby Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 4:05pm
post #13 of 14

I like the lolly pop stick idea too but I like the look of the wire. I ended up twirling the wire around my paint brush and sticking them in the cake because I didn't have time to go to the store. They ended up sticking in the cake pretty well. Next time I'll do the coffee sticks!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 1:12pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBugBaby

I like the lolly pop stick idea too but I like the look of the wire. I ended up twirling the wire around my paint brush and sticking them in the cake because I didn't have time to go to the store. They ended up sticking in the cake pretty well. Next time I'll do the coffee sticks!

Wires are NOT food safe and never should be stuck directly into cake. Ever.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%