Gumpaste Or Fondant?

Decorating By michele43069 Updated 5 Dec 2009 , 10:40pm by tonedna

michele43069 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michele43069 Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 8

I will be making a cake with little girl figures on it. I am not sure if I should create these little girls using gumpaste or fondant? What about the hair? Any suggestions? Thanks for the help!

7 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 8

You can use half gumpaste half fondant for figurines, or all gumpaste.
You can even use gumpaste with tylose in it.
Edna icon_smile.gif

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 8

Depends on height and amount of details. Gumpaste is easier to work with for small details and holds it shape a lot better. Fondant usually needs support if it has any height - an inch o rmore. You could use toothpicks or spagetti. Anything standing - I use gumpaste. Anything with a lot of small details - gumpaste. If it lays down or doesn't need any height I use fondant. 50/50 gumpaste/fondant is also a goood mix for modelling. Gumpaste dries within hours and fondant takes days to dry. HTH and good luck!

shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 8

i use half gumpaste and half fondant for all of my figures.

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 8

I found out the hard way that tylose is added to make fondant act more like gumpaste. I misunderstood something I'd seen on the Internet and added it to my gumpaste. It became impossible to work with, so I had to set It aside until I can add some fondant to the mix to hopefully make it usable again.

- Leisel

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 8:36pm
post #6 of 8

tonedna- what is tylose? i see it but not sure what its used for?

tonedna Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 9:34pm
post #7 of 8

Tylose is used to make gumpaste, the recipe is on my website.
But you can add it to fondant too, it makes it stronger, more pliable and things
dry faster. Gumpaste made with tylose is of great quality, as for fondant with tylose the quality is a but different but it works good for figurines.
Edna icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 10:40pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagebrush

I found out the hard way that tylose is added to make fondant act more like gumpaste. I misunderstood something I'd seen on the Internet and added it to my gumpaste. It became impossible to work with, so I had to set It aside until I can add some fondant to the mix to hopefully make it usable again.

- Leisel

If you add too much tylose it gets really hard. You can add more fondant to fix it.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%