Eek!! Do You Think This Cake Will Still Be Good???

Decorating By Lovemesomecake Updated 5 Dec 2009 , 5:13pm by Ruth0209

Lovemesomecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovemesomecake Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 5

I made a cake for a woman who said she needed it for Saturday. I had a REALLY busy weekend so I started on the cake Thursday. Well, she just picked it up and she loved it. Then she said, "Ok, if we don't eat it until Monday will it be ok sitting out or do I need to refrigerate it?"

WHAAAT?!?!!? She ordered it for today (Saturday) so I assumed starting it on Thursday would be fine, but now she doesn't want to cut it until Monday!!!

Do you think it will still be fresh?

4 replies
ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 5

Are there any fruit fillings involved? Is it BC or fondant? If it's covered in fondant I would think that the seal would keep it fresh til Monday. Not so sure about fillings though.

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 5

We need some more details about the cake to help you with an answer.
Was it covered in fondant or buttercream? Did it have filling in it, and if so what kind?

If it's fondant covered, it'll be fine until then, unless you have a filling that needs refridgeration, in which I would imagine it needs to be refridgerated (not frozen). Hopefully the fondant won't sweat when she takes it out Monday.

If it's buttercream I would suggest it be refridgerated until Monday. Again, hope it doesn't sweat.

And if it does, maybe she will learn to order a cake for the appropriate day next year icon_smile.gif

Anyway, I think this is correct information, hopefully a pro can help us out here. icon_smile.gif

Good Luck

Lovemesomecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovemesomecake Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 5

Its all buttercream.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 5:13pm
post #5 of 5

It'll be fine. I live in an arid climate and I've never seen buttercream sweat when removed from the fridge.

Just tell her to either leave it in the cake box, or refrigerate it for a while until the buttercream is hardened, put some plastic wrap on it loosely and leave it in the fridge until Monday. Tell her to take it out and immediately remove the plastic wrap (so it doesn't stick to the buttercream when it warms up) about 2-3 hours before she wants to serve it.

Think about it. Wouldn't you still eat a cake on Monday that you made on Thursday? Everyone at my house does!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%