This Baking Tip May Be Old News To You...

Decorating By stlcakelady Updated 8 Dec 2009 , 3:17pm by delisa01

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 12:41am
post #1 of 18

I was making carrot cakes this week. I always seem to have a problem with them sticking to the pans even though I grease and flour them. So to prevent this, I usually line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper. However, I didn't have any and needed to get started on baking. Sooooo, I just used some clean white printer paper. I traced the bottom of the pan and cut out circles. Then, I sprayed the pan with cooking spray and placed the paper in the pan. Then, I sprayed the paper as well as the sides of the pan to prevent sticking. It worked great! No need to grease up with the Crisco...and the paper is soooo cheap.

17 replies
andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 1:31am
post #2 of 18

Glad you were able to make it work out for you.

But this isn't a good idea in general. Printer/computer paper is not in any way safe for baking, they use all kinds of chemicals and bleach and stuff to make it white etc. And not pretending to have a degree in science or anything, but it is not intended to stand up to high oven temperatures, like parchment paper and could be a fire as well as health hazard.

Hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, just wanted to point out some dangers with doing this.

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 1:49am
post #3 of 18

I used to use parchment paper but since I found out on CC that you can use waxed paper so I buy the cheapest wax paper I can find to line my pans.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 1:56am
post #4 of 18

I use waxed paper also. No way can I afford parchment.

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 2:01am
post #5 of 18

Yep wax paper is fine for cake pans, I havelearned a lot of stuff from Cookis Illustrated, love that publication and Alton Brown icon_smile.gif. I use parchment pretty much exclusively because I do a lot of cookies and I buy cases of parchment sheets in bulk, ends up being way, way, cheaper that way.

"You can line a cake pan with wax paper (the batter will cover and protect the paper), but dont line a cookie sheet with wax paper (the exposed portions will smoke and char)."

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/images/document/howto/JF02_ISparchmentpaper.pdf

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 3:06am
post #6 of 18

I use wax paper all the time.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 3:11am
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by andpotts

"You can line a cake pan with wax paper (the batter will cover and protect the paper), but dont line a cookie sheet with wax paper (the exposed portions will smoke and char)."

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/images/document/howto/JF02_ISparchmentpaper.pdf

I know that one from experience...my sister caught my mom's oven on fire while trying to make meringues.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 6:36am
post #8 of 18

500 parchment sheets, full Commercial sheetpan size: 16 1/2" x 24 1/2" (Quilon treated):

http://www.pastrychef.com/PARCHMENT-PAPER_p_784.html

100 parchment sheets, 15 x 21 (silicone coated):

http://www.goldaskitchen.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=6494&step=4

Chefs Select Parchment Paper Super Sized, 205 Feet:

http://tinyurl.com/ygo8xju

HTH

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 3:46pm
post #9 of 18

I just made my own cake release the other day and used it for the 1st time and it worked wonderfully. I'm excited to not have to breathe in the Baker's Joy fumes anymore. icon_smile.gif

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 1:45pm
post #10 of 18

andpotts...thanks for the tips. I never realized that about printer paper. I only did this cause I was in a pinch. No offense taken...glad to learn something new.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 2:13pm
post #11 of 18

I use wax paper for my cakes and parchment paper with my cookies. You can't skimp on parchment paper with cookies! It's a MUST have!!

saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 2:23pm
post #12 of 18

I am another who uses wax paper for cakes; I agree with leah_s--parchment is just too expensive!

traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 2:26pm
post #13 of 18

A good size roll of parchment paper at our grocery store is only $2.49 and the good thing is you can use them over and over again when making cookies.

StacyR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StacyR Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 2:38pm
post #14 of 18

Ok, this may be a stupid question, but I'm currently still spraying the fire out of my pans. If you use wax/parchment paper on the bottom of the pan, do you have to treat the sides or does the cake not stick to the sides?

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 2:41pm
post #15 of 18

For cookies, I use Silpat half-sheet liners. Buy them once, wipe off when done. I actually think they help prevent burning the bottoms of cookies before the tops are done, too. And NOTHING sticks to Silpat. I still use parchment for cakes.

robinleah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinleah Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 2:54pm
post #16 of 18

I use the homemade pan coat and love it. qustion though about using wax paper to line the pan. I have used it int he passed but it stuck to the cake and when I treied to take it off teh cake ripped. Does it need to be coated with release.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 3:10pm
post #17 of 18

When I use wax paper or parchment I only spray the sides of the pan and slightly where the side and bottom meet (just in case any batter manages to get under the paper) don't spray the paper as when you dump the cake the paper will curl away from the cake, thus allowing the cake to break. The parchment/wax paper helps hold the hot cake together, so it has 2 purposes, not just the "keep it from sticking to the pan purpose" icon_smile.gif

delisa01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delisa01 Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 3:17pm
post #18 of 18

What???!!! You can use wax paper for cakes??? I'm am so happy to know that. Thanks for the tip. I am always learning something new on this forum even though I have been addicted for about 3 years. Thanks!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%