Would You Call This A Party Cake?

Decorating By sheilabelle Updated 5 Dec 2009 , 12:45pm by sheilabelle

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 11:51pm
post #1 of 6

The dreaded question (or in that realm), how would you charge for this cake? Would you consider it a party cake and charge for fewer servings or a wedding cake and more servings? Or, do you figure servings with the wedding chart and charge accordingly and let them cut it however they want. Hope that made sense. Let me explain - this is a cake for a party. It's a 12, 10, 8, and 6 inch round, 2 layers each, buttercream filling, all covered in fondant, fondant accents, ribbons on sides, chocolate music notes painted, ribbon roses from fondant, and a gumpaste figurine. I'm not necessarily concerned with what to charge on this cake but it seems like a lot of cake and I don't know which way to figure servings. Sorry I rambled.
LL
LL

5 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 11:55pm
post #2 of 6

I would consider it standard cake, and would charge per serving, as any other cake. I use Wilton wedding for all cakes, wedding, party you name it. Party cakes for me, tend to be much more per serving than wedding cakes.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 12:27am
post #3 of 6

I use Earlene's chart, I feel like the Wilton Wedding chart is a tad too small. But I use it for all tiered cakes no matter what occasion.

I use the Wilton party chart occasionally, usually for sculpted cakes to help me estimate servings before carving.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 12:50am
post #4 of 6

They are two layer cakes (4")......they are set up on a 'wedding' stand........
This is an example of why ALL tiered cakes need to be priced per serving.
I would calculate this using the Wilton wedding chart. Therefor it serves 132 times whatever you charge per serving for fondant covered cakes.

sheilabelle Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 12:42pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you everyone for your input. This is what I was thinking but was not sure I was correct. Good to know for future cakes. icon_smile.gif

sheilabelle Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 12:45pm
post #6 of 6

Oh, another question ... For party cakes, do you use the party serving size and charge the same price as for wedding cakes or do you have a different price for party cakes? TIA

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%