Why Are My Cookies Spreading?

Baking By mymeowzer Updated 9 Dec 2009 , 12:55am by leah_s

mymeowzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mymeowzer Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 16

I really need help. I just started making cut out sugar cookies. I have tried 2 different recipes and chilled them beyond belief. They still spread and the shape of the cookie looks a little distorted. Should I use a recipe without eggs? Maybe then they wouldn't spread.

Please help!!

15 replies
verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 16

Maybe you don't have enough flour.. weight it instead of mesuring it.

My recipe calls for 4 eggs and 2 tsp of baking soda.. But I add a bit more flour than the original recipe was asking.

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 16
TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 1:30pm
post #4 of 16

I use the NFSC mentioned above and cut the baking powder to 1/2 tsp. After you cut out your shapes, put them on a parchment lined cookie sheet and chill well. Put them into a well preheated oven. This is what I do and it works well for me. Hope this helps!

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLH

I use the NFSC mentioned above and cut the baking powder to 1/2 tsp. After you cut out your shapes, put them on a parchment lined cookie sheet and chill well. Put them into a well preheated oven. This is what I do and it works well for me. Hope this helps!

I do exactly the same thing!

TracyLH Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 10:32pm
post #6 of 16

Bonnie - It really makes a difference, doesn't it? thumbs_up.gif

4laynes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4laynes Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 4:37pm
post #7 of 16

How thick should I roll the dough for a nice decorated christmas cookie?

TracyLH Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 5:08pm
post #8 of 16

I personally roll mine to 1/4".

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 6:27pm
post #9 of 16

I'm a "until it looks right cook" so I view all recipes as a suggestion of measurements. If the dough looks too gooey or thin, add more flour. Don't be afraid to alter the recipe so that it works.

If your cookies are really distorted, a way to salvage them is to recut them as soon as they come out of the oven. Here's a thread with directions and photo-examples: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-654832-recut.html

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 7:19pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLH

Bonnie - It really makes a difference, doesn't it? thumbs_up.gif

absolutely!
And if I'm making a shape that's hand-cut, instead of using a cookie cutter, I also refrigerate the dough at least 3 hours before cutting out the shape so my edges are neater.

TracyLH Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 12:40pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Quote:

if I'm making a shape that's hand-cut, instead of using a cookie cutter, I also refrigerate the dough at least 3 hours before cutting out the shape so my edges are neater.

Oh, I agree fully! Many of mine are handcut and very chilled dough is the only way to go! I learned that one quickly! icon_lol.gif

ChefDePatisserie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefDePatisserie Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 5:28pm
post #12 of 16

I don't know, which recipe you used, but my guess would be that you mixed the butter and sugar too much so that too much air was included.

To make cookies that do not "grow" or distort in the oven, I mix the ingredients just using a dough scraper. But you could also use a food processor (not electric mixer).

Maybe this helps. icon_smile.gif

AllyR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AllyR Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 12:31am
post #13 of 16

I dont' know if this makes a difference but I freeze them for about 15-20 minutes, not just chill them in the fridge. They turn out great!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 12:36am
post #14 of 16

The only way the No-Fail recipe works (for me) is to eliminate the baking powder. Once I did that, everything was fine. I also am a fan of chilling the dough big time before cooking but honestly, it doesn't matter how much you chill them if you have one of those darn 'spready' recipes. That dough just goes everywhere icon_sad.gif

TracyLH Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 12:49am
post #15 of 16

Seriously... try the parchment paper. It really helps! thumbs_up.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 12:55am
post #16 of 16

Cookies spread largely due to the butter content. The very low melting point of the butter melts before the starches in the flour gelatinize. (That's what heat does to starches.) If the starches haven't had time to gelatinize (set), there's no structure to the cookie, so it spreads.

Sub 1/2 butter and 1/2 veg shortening. You'll still have butter flavor, but get better performance. For even less spreading, use 1/2 margarine and 1/2 veg shortening.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%