Emergency- How Do I Make Fondant Shinny

Decorating By bstajcic Updated 4 Dec 2009 , 5:19pm by illini89

bstajcic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bstajcic Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 7:08am
post #1 of 14

Hi all, I am making a mermaid cake and i wanted the fondant mermaid i have made to look shinny. Does anyone know what i can use?? ta

13 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 7:30am
post #2 of 14

You can steam it, brush it with water or use confectioners glaze (haven't tried this before). You can also use a mixture of vodka and cornsyrup.

ramacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramacake Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 9:15am
post #3 of 14

If you have an airbrush, you can mist it LIGHTLY with just plain water. Let that dry, and do it again, depending on how shiny you want it.

Or you can take a clean lightly damp dish towel and lightly rub over the fondant.

Or you can use a steamer and pass over the fondant lightly with the steam.

CauldronCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CauldronCakeBaker Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 11:32am
post #4 of 14

Confectionary glaze would make it really shine, but if you dont have any of that on hand a thin coating of shortening will make it shine too. This also will not make the surrounding area look wet when you dont want it to like steaming can. And you wont get drips in unwanted places either.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 12:02pm
post #5 of 14

I would paint the tail with a mix of vodka and icing color. That will give it a shine and it would probably look nice with the tail shining and the parts that look like skin being left with a matte finish.

kse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kse Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 12:41pm
post #6 of 14

Spray some canola oil (like the Crisco out of a can) in a small bowl. Then paint it on with a paint brush. Just did this for a cake of mind and it looked great!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 2:31pm
post #7 of 14

Next time you place an order with Global Sugar Art or whoever you trade with--I know GSA has it--get you some gum arabic and mix it with water & paint it on and you will have shine shine shine. Like less than four bucks.

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 2:44pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Next time you place an order with or whoever you trade with--I know has it--get you some gum arabic and mix it with water & paint it on and you will have shine shine shine. Like less than four bucks.

Thanks for the info on this! I have used water and cannola oil and it was okay but not quite shinny as I wanted, (the fish cake i did). I'm glad there is something out there now. icon_smile.gif

Chippi

learnincakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
learnincakes Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 2:50pm
post #9 of 14

The gum arabic works really well, dries hard with no stickiness.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 2:56pm
post #10 of 14

Chippi--yeah I made an old fashioned ladies high top button up shoe and it was matte leather with a patent leather toe and I had to dust the patent leather toe with cocoa to take the shine down so it looked old. The gum arabic shines very well. It's the ingredient in edible glitter.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 2:59pm
post #11 of 14

LearninC--and I've tried it with alcohol and gum arabic--din work. Water + gum arabic is great huh. And you can speed up the process with a blast from the hair dryer if you want.

Yay, a fellow GA believer!!! <highfive>

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 3:01pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Chippi--yeah I made an old fashioned ladies high top button up shoe and it was matte leather with a patent leather toe and I had to dust the patent leather toe with cocoa to take the shine down so it looked old. The gum arabic shines very well. It's the ingredient in edible glitter.

That makes since! Thanks again and Happy Holidays everyone! icon_smile.gif

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 4:29pm
post #13 of 14

I am going to try the gum arabic.... the water idea tends to break down my fondant and / or it gets sticky....

illini89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
illini89 Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 5:19pm
post #14 of 14

WOW, just tried the vodka+ icing color!!!!!!!! WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT

Thank you so much for such a great tip!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%