French Buttercream Help Please

Decorating By elkinchahin Updated 4 Dec 2009 , 3:39am by LaBellaFlor

elkinchahin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elkinchahin Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 12:57am
post #1 of 7

I have a customer that wants a cake with chocolate french buttercream, does anyone knows how to make that, or whats the difference between italian buttercream? Thanks for your help

6 replies
alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 1:02am
post #2 of 7

Don't quote me on this but i believe it's basically the same thing but the Meringue is made differently.

Pepwei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pepwei Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 1:36am
post #3 of 7

Check Duff Goldman's buttercream recipe online. I read somewhere that it's also called French Buttercream. Just add chocolate, i guess.

Last week I made Duff's recipe but added sugar free strawberry preserve because my client wanted strawberry flavored filling that's not jam-like. It was yummy!

I'm actually wondering if i can do a cream cheese version of it too. Anyone who has done something like this (in cream cheese flavor)?

HTH!

uberathlete Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uberathlete Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 1:37am
post #4 of 7

French buttercream is made with egg yolks, sugar, and butter. Classically, you whip the yolks then pour a stream of hot sugar, then you add in the butter (then any flavorings you want, in your case melted chocolate). It's essentially like Swiss meringue buttercream but instead of the egg whites you use the yolks only.

I usually just heat the yolks and sugar in a double boiler, then when the sugar has dissolved I put it in the mixer then whip until it doubles in volume. Add butter and finish. I also sometimes add a little meringue to lighten it up cuz it can be too rich.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 1:48am
post #5 of 7

the recipe that i use.. is called french buttercream.. you use egg yolks like you do in imbc.. instead of egg whites. i cook the sugar and water ..to a certain point.. then add in a stream to the beaten egg yolks.. then the added butter.. then melted cooled chocolate and also then cooled expresso coffee. it is delicious. was in our newspaper several years ago. i made it .. family loves it.. and also the clients..

chikadodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikadodle Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 2:27am
post #6 of 7

French buttercream is made exactly like IMBC except with yolks instead of whites (cook the sugar with water to 238F and pour slowly into yolks while whipping; add room temp butter when cool). For chocolate, just add some melted dark chocolate. Just be aware that French buttercream is much softer and meltier than IMBC or SMBC. It will set up fine in the end, but tends to be a slippery bugger to ice with! And yes, it is very tasty.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 3:39am
post #7 of 7

Exactly what everyone else said. Also, I feel that French buttercream really taste like butter, so don't surprise when you taste it, it taste like flavored butter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%