Best Mix For Cupcakes? Or Did I Just Do Something Wrong?

Baking By Sabre3of4 Updated 5 Dec 2009 , 12:56am by prterrell

Sabre3of4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sabre3of4 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 6

I made a Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe mix( Dark Chocolate Fudge flavor) day before yesterday for cupcakes and baked them at 325(instead of 350) until done. Let them sit overnight....
They came out really nice, big muffin tops that mushroomed over the wrapper. The only problem was when I went to ice them.... the tops were so moist and tender that I really had trouble icing them with the milk chocolate frosting. I ended up melting the frosting and after a mis-start on dipping them icon_confused.gif , just spooned the frosting on.... they looked fairly nice. The guy I made them for wanted to take the whole dozen I made to share, home so he could gorf them all in private icon_lol.gif My wonderfully thoughtful husband wouldn't let him take my cupcake carrier tho' icon_wink.gif
So now I know not to use the D.H. Moist Deluxe, but what mix would be best?

Sabrina

5 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 6

i can't ice any undoctored boxed mix to save my life without getting crumbs!

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 6

Did you try piping the frosting, or were you spreading it?

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 7:49pm
post #4 of 6

The cake mix extender recipe from this site makes great cupcakes and you get about 29-30 of them. If you want it chocolate just use a devil's food mix and add 1 small box of instant chocolate pudding. Everyone loves it.

Sabre3of4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sabre3of4 Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 6

I was trying to spread it with a spatula. It was just a quickie I thought of at the last minute.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 12:56am
post #6 of 6

Always always always pipe frosting onto cupcakes. It's actually faster! And NEVER use canned frosting!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%