How Can I Make Piping Gel Taste Better?

Decorating By SugarNSpiceDiva Updated 3 Dec 2009 , 8:38pm by SugarNSpiceDiva

SugarNSpiceDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarNSpiceDiva Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone!

I've never played with piping gel before. But I'm making a cake that has a pond, so I decided to buy it. Well I tasted it, and it's GROSS!! Is there anyway I can make it better? Like add sugar or something? I don't want to put it on a cake unless its yummy. lol.

Also, what other kinds of things can you use piping gel for? I will have some left over.

Thanks so much in advance! icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
SugarNSpiceDiva Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 7

No suggestions? icon_sad.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 7:52pm
post #3 of 7

You can only make it taste, but so good, but you can try adding some clear extract to it. People tend to scrape that type of stuff off anyway.

SugarNSpiceDiva Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 7

Really? lol. Ok. I tasted it, and it tasted like castor oil. Well to me it did.

Thanks again! I'll put some extract in it then. icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 8:01pm
post #5 of 7

Ewwww! Castor oil?!?!? I've never tasted a gel that taste that bad. maybe you should make your own next time. There is recipe on this site. I've never tried it, but it's gotta be better then...CASTOR OIL! LOL! You can use gel to pipe with and I've seen someone use it for stencils. It looked very pretty.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 7

Perhaps there is something wrong with the batch you have. Maybe it is spoiled?

SugarNSpiceDiva Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 8:38pm
post #7 of 7

Well maybe not exactly castor oil. That was the first thing I thought of when I tasted it. I've only ever taste castor oil a couple of times before. (barf!) With my first daughter, my mom thought I should take it to prevent being pregnant too long. (Dumb idea. lol) It had like a bitter oily taste. I only bought it yesterday. It's Wilton. Maybe thats the problem. I learned my lesson with the fondant.

LaBellaFlor,

OH, I didn't know you could make it! I've been making my own fondant and icing, since they don't have crap here on post. I'll have to start doing that too! Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%