Curly Q Ribbon?

Decorating By Pickulz Updated 3 Dec 2009 , 10:17pm by Peridot

Pickulz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pickulz Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 7

How would I make the curly q ribbon (from fondant) that goes with bows on cakes? Im thinking I could roll it around a straw...or pencil...but then how do i get it out?

It's prob better to mix fondant with tylose for this right?

6 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 7

Either use gumpaste or mix fondant with tylose - it doesn't matter.

I usually wrap it around a dowel rod but a pencil or anything else will work as well. Just dab a little cornstarch on the dowel rod and then wrap the gumpaste around it. Give it 5 minutes or so and pull it off. Then let it dry overnight.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 7

You can also do it with plain fondant...I used to make them with marshmallow fondant before I found out that wasn't supposed to work icon_biggrin.gif I have a big package of plastic chopsticks that I use to shape them...they have a tapered end so it's easy to slide the fondant curl off after it has dried overnight.

Pickulz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pickulz Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 7

yeah i was just wondering about the sliding off part...if i pull it off too early...doesnt it loose its shape...and later on doesnt it dry hard? because if you are wrapping it around a stick its snugly on to that?
I guess I will have to try...

Oh...and ive never used gum paste or tylose...can i make gum paste at home?

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 7

If you coat the straws in Crisco and then wrap the strips around and let them dry over night, they will slide right off the next day. The bonus with using Crisco is that there won't be any Cornstarch to clean off and less chance of breaking them because you don't have to handle them as you would if you needed to clean off CS.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 8:18pm
post #6 of 7

When I do these, I losely wrap it around the dowel rod then slide it off and let it dry with out the dowel. If you have gum-tex, tylose, gum trag, cmc in your fondant or have mixed in some gumpaste it will old it's shape just fine.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 10:17pm
post #7 of 7

I have made many of these and I use straws or a straw over a dowel. I dust straw lightly with corn starch and leave on until it is dry. After it has been on the straw/dowel and starts to dry a little I move it a bit to make sure it is not sticking. I do not remove until it is dry (the next day)as I don't want a flat side or lopsided curly-q. Also the piece is stronger once it is completely dry. I use 50/50 ratio of Wilton gumpaste and Wilton fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%