Help With 'interesting' Baby Shower Cake Idea

Decorating By still_learning Updated 9 Dec 2009 , 6:17am by Icing2009

still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 12:58pm
post #1 of 9

I'm making a baby shower cake for my sister and I have no idea what to do. She hasn't given me any ideas on what she'd like. Since I'm on my own I'd like to do something that I find interesting to make and can learn something new from. The cake only has to be maybe a 9" because the shower is small. It's her second baby which is unusual for a shower but there's a 7 year age gap b/w children. She's having a girl. I'm completely stumped at finding something 'interesting'. Thanks for any help icon_smile.gif

8 replies
amberkw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberkw Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 1:19pm
post #2 of 9

There are so many cute babyshower cakes on here. Have you looked at any yet? I think the baby clothesline is so cute. You could make a basket on top w/ some clothes piled in it and a little baby girls head w/ a bow peeking out of the basket. Make it even cuter by putting a butterfly on her nose or something. The tiny details that make the same ol cakes different are fun to see. If you haven't done a person or baby yet - its a good challenge! I am going my first on a little girl's sleeping beauty cake for Sat. Good luck!

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 9

I would love to try the baby butt cake, at least that's what I call it. With it's little butt and feet sticking out from under a blanket. I think that cake is so cute.

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 6:59pm
post #4 of 9

I don't know what your skill level is, but what about making a clawfoot bathtub with shower head attached to the head of the tub and a baby sitting in a bubble bath (a baby shower). Put some cute rubber duckies, towels, etc around/in the tub. You can either sculpt the cake to be the tub, or you can make a 9" round and sculpt the tub/baby out of fondant/gumpaste.

Please post a pic when you've decided on a design and created your cake! icon_smile.gif

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 7:05pm
post #5 of 9

I have two posted, similar but for different size showers. I have a baby blanket on top with baby toys on top of the blanket. Buttons around the top and bottom edges, bibs and baby bottles on one of the cakes. I have them both posted in my photos if that helps.

I'd love to see a photo of whatever design you decide to do.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 9:14pm
post #6 of 9

I have done the clothesline cake and it is so much easier if you get a cutter set that lets you make people or kids, then all you have to do is cut off a hand or cut the bosy in half to make "clothes."

My dream baby shower is to make a diaper cake, but make it edible. I havent been able to sell it to anyone yet, but I will someday.

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 3:38am
post #7 of 9

For baby shower around christmas you can put sugarpaste christmas tree with some gifts and baby crib with little one. I did it for my friend and everyone liked it.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 3:50am
post #8 of 9

I love making the little two tiered fondant baby shower cakes with a gumpaste topper...I have one I did in my photos with a stork on top and I thought it turned out pretty cute.

Icing2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Icing2009 Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 6:17am
post #9 of 9

you should try the diaper cake which is so cute or ( mI can't think of the what it's called but someone posted a pic on cc) a 9" double round? with those Pirouette cookies around the edges and make it look like water in the middle with some bubbles and a rubber ducky sitting in it. I think that would look cute, atleast the pic I saw of it was anyway, if you find it let me know or if you can't then maybe I can find it for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%