I'm Hosting A Decorating Party:questions About Colors Etc.

Baking By Retrogirl38 Updated 3 Dec 2009 , 5:14pm by srknepler

Retrogirl38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Retrogirl38 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 5:29am
post #1 of 5

Greetings all you talented cookie decorators. I am in awe of your talents! I am hosting a cookie decorating event this weekend, and I'm planning to use NFSC with Antonia74 Royal Icing. My questions:

What colours do you find you use the most?

What flavouring extracts do you use (I have tried almond--which I love, but I'm getting bored...any other ideas? brands? quantities per batch of Antonia's RI?)

Thanks for your help--you are all an inspiration!

Take good care!

4 replies
beckycrocker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckycrocker Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 5:57am
post #2 of 5

It depends on what you're decorating. I'm doing a cookie decorating party next weekend, and we'll be doing lots of snowflakes, trees, and wreaths. So, we'll probably use alot of green, white, and maybe light blue. I've done this for my daughter's kindergarten class last year. I used disposable icing bags with rubber bands to keep the bags closed. The kids had a blast! I don't usually add flavors to my RI, so I'm sorry I don't have any tips for you there. I do recommend covering your entire table with some sort of paper. That way, when you're done, you just wrap the whole thing up and throw it away. Have fun!!!

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 6:48am
post #3 of 5

I just did a little decorating party for my moms' bible study group. We did Christmas cookies, so I made red, green, white, black, light blue, brown (tree trunks) and orange (snowman nosesicon_smile.gif )
I used clear vanilla and lemon extracts-- one teaspoon of each-- per batch of Antonia's RI. One of the moms said that the icing tasted good, but she was a little weirded out by Christmas cookies that tasted like lemon. She felt it was more of a summertime flavor.
I also had lots of toppings...sanding sugar, sprinkes, candies, dragees, etc. It was really fun!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 2:11pm
post #4 of 5

If you're doing red, pink, orange, or black icing, you can make them cherry flavored. Just use maraschino cherry juice instead of the water. It will flavor it and make it pink, then you can add other coloring. You can either use the liquid from the jar of cherries, or you can buy a bottle of just the liquid.

You could also use the Torani syrups to add flavors.

srknepler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srknepler Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 5:14pm
post #5 of 5

I really love orange extract in icings

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%