Being Green While You Decorate

Decorating By Mug-a-Bug Updated 4 Dec 2009 , 1:12am by sugarandslice

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 12:52am
post #1 of 7

Anybody want to share their tips for being green while baking / decorating?

I always use the featherweight bags whenever possible, or at least a parchment one instead of plastic.

I would love if anyone has a tip for freezing their cakes without all those layers of plastic and foil. I always cringe using all that just to wrap a cake for a few days.

Thanks, and happy caking. thumbs_up.gif

6 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 2:04am
post #2 of 7

i also have my students tear their paper towels into 1/4s. it only takes a small piece to wipe off your tips or spatulas, as for the plastic wrap, i will save the outer pieces to wrap scraps in or to perhaps wrap my cake when its stacked and settleing before icing.

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 2:17am
post #3 of 7

I will re-use plastic disposable piping bags. I usually stick a long spoon through them and put them upright in the silverware basket, run 'em through the dishwasher (gets hot enough to eliminate the grease from shortening), and then dry them by hand when it's done. I do the same thing with press and seal freezer bags.....

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 12:56pm
post #4 of 7

I purchase large plastic freezer bags from a local cake decorating store to freeze my cakes in. They are large enough to fit most cakes and I can re-use them many times. I also use feather weight bags as much as possible.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 12:30am
post #5 of 7

Do you know if I can order those bags somewhere? Thanks. thumbs_up.gif

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 12:44am
post #6 of 7

Hand mix cake, hand mix buttercream, hand roll fondant, bake cakes with heat ray vision, freeze cakes with ice breath. Basically anything I can do without electricity. icon_smile.gif LoL

I do use big ziploc and freezer bags over and over. I use an official "cake Tester" stick that many have made fun of rather than discarding toothpicks.

I hand wash and towel dry my bakeware. I use washable towels rather than paper towels.

I don't know if any of these count or not, but great topic... I was just wondering this myself yesterday as I was making a cake. icon_smile.gif

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 1:12am
post #7 of 7

I have a sink 1/2-full of hot soapy water instead of running the tap everytime I need to rinse something off. Use fabric teatowels instead of paper towel. Cook as many things as possible each time the oven is on. Use wooden dowels and cardboard or mdf cake boards rather than plastic support systems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%