Sugarshacks Buttercream...how Long Will It Last?

Decorating By aej6 Updated 3 Dec 2009 , 3:02am by aej6

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all,
I have searched and can not find the answer....just made this (1/3 the recipe) with a hi-ratio shortening? WOW!! AWESOME!

Does anyone know how long it will last and the best way to store it? Can it be frozen?

Thanks a lot!

4 replies
grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 12:08am
post #2 of 5

It'll keep at least a couple of weeks in an airtight container at room temperature. I like to press a piece of plastic wrap down to the surface of the icing so it won't crust in the container.

You can also refrigerate or freeze, but I believe Sharon recommends rewhipping once it's back to room temperature.

When I have only a few cups leftover, I go ahead and stiffen it, roll it into a cone shape, wrap well and freeze. Next time I need stiffened BC for the dam, I just pop it out of the freezer ahead of time, let it thaw, unwrap and poke the cone into the bag.

aej6 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 12:25am
post #3 of 5

Thanks ....I was hopoing, since it came out well, to keep this mini batch for a cake I am doing on the 19th of Dec.

What do you mean by "stiffen it"?

Freezing it in wrap and being able to thaw it and toss into a decorating bag does sound ideal....

This place is so helpful; thanks again!

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 12:47am
post #4 of 5

To 'stiffen" it, one would work in by hand about as much powdered sugar as the icing can absorb. The icing when stiffened could be rolled into a very smooth ball. The purpose of this is to have a very stiff icing to pipe a dam around the edge of a layer. Usually a coupler with no tip inserted is used to pipe this dam. Some folks roll a snake and coil it onto the layer.

Once a stiff dam is placed on the layer, buttercream of normal consistency or other filling is placed in the well created by the dam, then another cake layer is placed on top and gentle pressure applied.

This stiff dam prevents seepage of filling, bulges and a bunch of cake woes.

aej6 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 3:02am
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%