Safari Themed Cake Coloring Questions

Decorating By kimmyboo925 Updated 2 Dec 2009 , 9:35pm by sugarmommy83

kimmyboo925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmyboo925 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 3

Hi guys... I have a safari themed cake for this weekend... its 4 high... basic zebra, cheeta, giraffe, and lepord.... now my question is... I have to make the fondat colored... for the giraffe... I just cant even think of what color to use...

and also how do you make buttercream gray???

Attached is the cake I am going to be trying to replicate.. if its your cake... thank you.. I dont know where I found it.. lol
LL
LL

2 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 3

For the gray, just put a little bit of black in with the white and it will turn gray. You may want to add more black depending on how dark you want the gray to be.

The giraffe is just yellow and brown. I would say probably use a buttercup yellow or something similar.

It's a very cute cake! Good luck!

sugarmommy83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarmommy83 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 3

Hi,

You can get grey buttercream by adding black colour to your white buttercream. It may take some time to get the right intensity you're looking for but that's the way I do it. As for your giraffe, on the jungle theme cake I did I used the ivory colour gel by wilton for the base, and a combination of brown gel and the ivory gel colour for the spots. Start of slow and add the colours to create the intensity you want. Good luck, I'm sure it will look great!!! Jungle themed cakes are so much fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%