Michelle Fosters Fondant Tastes Good But....?

Decorating By JustToEatCake Updated 6 Dec 2009 , 8:11pm by Kerry_Kake

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 30

But when I put it on my thanksgiving cake EVERY SINGLE person still threw it away!! I think people just like soft, melt in your mouth frosting when it comes to cake. THey tasted it and said it tasted good itself but they didn't want to eat it with their cake.

So since I have ONLY made MF's fondant and not MM fondant I would like to know if working with it is relatively the same because for the cost, and it's going in the trash anyway I rather go that route if it's not too much difference in workability, esp since I am a noob.

Shhh Just a secret, I pulled it off mine too and I think it's delish when I eat it with my fingers!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

29 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 30

That's just it. It really doesn't get any better than MFF. Some people just don't want it, don't want to try it, no way-it's icky I don't care what you say....ya know, you aren't gonna change their minds. And yes, really, cake shouldn't have a chewy covering on it, but it's necessary for certain designs. So go ahead, peel it off, whatever. Lol!

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 30

It depends on what you're going for... In my experience, MMF is ever more chewy, so people really aren't going to eat it if they won't eat MFF...

Also, MMF can't be rolled as thin as regular fondant, so it sometimes looks "bulky" when you're tryng to pull off a delicate look (pleating, swags, etc.). So I guess it depends on the application?

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 30

I just made MFF the other day but I haven't put it on my cake yet. I always made MMF and it tastes good to but....
I find that MMF is even chewier. And it doesn't dry very well for making flowers and what not. I think I will be much happier with Michele's. I'm so excited I can't wait to try and see how workable it is!
My husband hates fondant....it's the chewiness! But myself I don't mind the chewiness I just don't want a lot of it, same goes with buttercream...I can't eat it all if there is a lot on a decorated cake.

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 30

I've always made MMF, but plan to try MFF for my next fondant cake. The funny thing is, I LOVE working with fondant. I love the look of it, and the versatility you can get with cake designs using it. However, even *I* don't particularly enjoy eating it on cake. It tastes great alone, but somehow the texture of cake and the texture of fondant makes for a very unhappy harmony in my mouth. I much prefer the combination of cake and buttercream textures.

It's definitely a matter of personal preference.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 8:36pm
post #6 of 30

I have a question about the MFF, When I made the first batch, it was alright, when I used it right away, and after I stored it, it became hard and unworkable, I made two different batches, at two different times, and the same thing happen, it bacame hard the next day, and yes, I did use the mixture warm, and not hot I did read that thread that Michele had a few months ago, but mine is now hard and I made a double batch what can I do.
TIA.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 8:39pm
post #7 of 30

See me personally I LOVE MFF and I despise MMF. I love marshmallows on their own, in chocolate and just about every way except as fondant.

I generally add almond extract to the MFF recipe and everyone I've ever made it for totally loved it and has requested it numerous times on their birthday cakes.

Everyone that I know that has had mmf doesn't like it because it is way way too sweet.

jodibug0975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodibug0975 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 8:45pm
post #8 of 30

Put your hard MFF in the microwave for 20 seconds on defrost and it will be very workable and good as new!

Uniqueask Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 8:49pm
post #9 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodibug0975

Put your hard MFF in the microwave for 20 seconds on defrost and it will be very workable and good as new!

Thank you very much

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 8:49pm
post #10 of 30

I'm with _Jaime_ on this one. As long as it tastes good and you're not putting something that tastes like glue on their cake, I don't care if people take a nibble to be polite and then fork it off to one side. I achieve the look I want with the fondant, and that's worth the extra cost to me. Plus, I can't buttercream to save my life icon_wink.gif.

emiyeric Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 8:51pm
post #11 of 30

Also, Uniqueask, I'm wondering how much powdered sugar you're using in your recipe if it's becoming so hard. I actually just use the two bags, and then STOP right there. At that point, the whole mixture is still warm and too goopy to use, but I pack it away in a Crisco'd bag and double wrap it, and the next day it's the PERFECT consistency, and can keep it forever. I played around with several kinds in the beginning, but I ONLY use MFF now! icon_smile.gif

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:12pm
post #12 of 30

I bet you could roll a bite sized ball of fondant and dip it in chocolate, that most people would eat it as candy!

Uniqueask Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:15pm
post #13 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiyeric

Also, Uniqueask, I'm wondering how much powdered sugar you're using in your recipe if it's becoming so hard. I actually just use the two bags, and then STOP right there. At that point, the whole mixture is still warm and too goopy to use, but I pack it away in a Crisco'd bag and double wrap it, and the next day it's the PERFECT consistency, and can keep it forever. I played around with several kinds in the beginning, but I ONLY use MFF now! icon_smile.gif

I follow the recipe to the T, and I have never used crisco, only because the recipe says oil, it works for me the first and second day, after I make it but any longer, and it is hard as a rock, I have two batches that I made from Halloween that is hard, the only reason I did not throw it away is because I have been meaning to come on here and ask the question before I threw away, I also store it in the fridge, actually one batch is in the fridge, and one is out, and they are both hard.

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:25pm
post #14 of 30

I used MMF for the first time a couple months ago. (Ladybug cake in my photos.) I used the recipe from this site, the one that requires the marshmallow (fluff) that comes in a jar. It was for my SIL and while at the shower, I watched to see if people were eating it. They indeed WERE! thumbs_up.gif In fact, I was surprised to see so many enjoying it, since I've done fondant covered cakes before where just about EVERYONE peeled it off.

However, I know what works for one person might not work as well for another. So I say to try another recipe & see how that works! icon_smile.gif

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:30pm
post #15 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTFundraiser

I bet you could roll a bite sized ball of fondant and dip it in chocolate, that most people would eat it as candy!

I think you are indeed right about that! I have candy making recipes for "fondant centers"! Although, I never did check to see if the ingredients are the same. icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:31pm
post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniqueask

I have a question about the MFF, When I made the first batch, it was alright, when I used it right away, and after I stored it, it became hard and unworkable, I made two different batches, at two different times, and the same thing happen, it bacame hard the next day, and yes, I did use the mixture warm, and not hot I did read that thread that Michele had a few months ago, but mine is now hard and I made a double batch what can I do.
TIA.

That's probably it right there. I let it cool to room temp, not lukewarm, but nearly cool.

emiyeric Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:36pm
post #17 of 30
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiyeric

I follow the recipe to the T, and I have never used crisco, only because the recipe says oil, it works for me the first and second day, after I make it but any longer, and it is hard as a rock, I have two batches that I made from Halloween that is hard, the only reason I did not throw it away is because I have been meaning to come on here and ask the question before I threw away, I also store it in the fridge, actually one batch is in the fridge, and one is out, and they are both hard.

The recipe does only call for butter (the one I have doesn't mention oil ... do you think we have the same MFF recipe?), but then I slather Crisco on the inside of a bag and keep it there, well-wrapped. Hope that helps!

__Jamie__ Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:38pm
post #18 of 30

What? There is not a drop of oil in MFF...where is that coming from??

Uniqueask Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:45pm
post #19 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

not in the recipe, It says to rub your saran wrap with vegetable oil, and then wrap your fondant in it. I thought that was what emiyeric meant when she said she used crisco. this is the recipe, I have saved.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7446/michele-fosters-fondant

__Jamie__ Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:56pm
post #20 of 30
Quote:

Quote:

not in the recipe, It says to rub your saran wrap with vegetable oil, and then wrap your fondant in it. I thought that was what emiyeric meant when she said she used crisco. this is the recipe, I have saved.

Right, a previous post insinuated she had a recipe with no oil, hence she thought she had a different recipe.

Uniqueask Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 10:02pm
post #21 of 30
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Right, a previous post insinuated she had a recipe with no oil, hence she thought she had a different recipe.

I am sorry if I confused anyone, I should have stated wrapping it with oil, coated saran wrap. and not making it with oil in the recipe, guess I was typing too fast.

BooBooKitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BooBooKitty Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 10:27pm
post #22 of 30

Love the look but hate the texture.. No way do I want bubble gum with my cake.. Everyone I know of peels it off.. And when they ask why even put it on the cake I say but it looks so darn cool!! lol.. but to me nothing beats BC for taste.. icon_smile.gif

Gotta love Fondant for all the neat things you can do with it.. well except for eating it.. lol.. well in my book that is.. alone yea but with my cake.. naaaaaaaa icon_razz.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 10:59pm
post #23 of 30

People don't like to chew their icing... plain and simple. I find people will nibble at it off the cake, but not with it.

When you are making MFF it shoudl be pretty loose right after you make it. I can't use it fresh... it's stretches wickedly bad. I'd start only adding 3 pounds of powdered sugar. When I make it I don't wait long to add the powdered sugar... the misture is pretty darn warm. If I wait until it's cooled I can't add in the powdered sugar easily. So I have worked out a way to judge it when it's warm. It's very stretchy and impossible to work with, but it's perfect the next day. You do have to knead it a bunch for it to get to the right texture too... especially in the colder weather.

I have taken to ordering Satin Ice since I can't make 40 pounds of fondant at a time (and keep my sanity). icon_wink.gif

JustToEatCake Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 10:59pm
post #24 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooKitty

Love the look but hate the texture.. No way do I want bubble gum with my cake.. Everyone I know of peels it off.. And when they ask why even put it on the cake I say but it looks so darn cool!! lol.. but to me nothing beats BC for taste.. icon_smile.gif

Gotta love Fondant for all the neat things you can do with it.. well except for eating it.. lol.. well in my book that is.. alone yea but with my cake.. naaaaaaaa icon_razz.gif

Yep, I think 90% of people are right there with you so the question is "why not just make MMF instead of MFF to put on a cake"?

When I'm finished making the MFF and before I put it in the greased bag I pinch a touch off to taste it to make sure nothing is "funny" and it's delish, I want to eat more of it but I am wondering if it's THAT much difference in appearance and workability (someone said a bit more sticky and can't roll as thin) than the MMF is. I mean since technically, for me it seems, it's just for decoration so I wouldn't really say it's worth the extra $ (yes money counts this is a hobby not a business) or worth the extra time to make it for it's rolling/covering properties.

FromScratch Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 11:19pm
post #25 of 30

There is a difference... MMF is a lot sweeter and dries much chewier than MFF (imho of course) and it turns out everytime. MMF gave me fits so I don't care for making it. I can melt the stuff for MFF in the mixer bowl... add the PS on top of it and whip it up in one bowl... easy clean up... advantage MFF. icon_smile.gif

JustToEatCake Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 2:43am
post #26 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

There is a difference... MMF is a lot sweeter and dries much chewier than MFF (imho of course) and it turns out everytime. MMF gave me fits so I don't care for making it. I can melt the stuff for MFF in the mixer bowl... add the PS on top of it and whip it up in one bowl... easy clean up... advantage MFF. icon_smile.gif

My MFF fondant is VERY sweet. I mean my goodness it has over 3lbs of powdered sugar!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 3:25am
post #27 of 30

IMO I think THIN and tasty is what you want in fondant. I put a normal layer of buttercream and a thin layer of my semi-homemade white choc. fondant.

Jen icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 3:42am
post #28 of 30

I agree Jennifer. Once I changed my routine with fondant application, I now roll it twice as thin, get it sharper and smoother than ever, and a good amt. of BC underneath. Yummers!

FromScratch Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 3:13pm
post #29 of 30

Yes... I do the same. Regular amount of BC underneath and thinly rolled fondant. No one wants a cake with a 1/4" of fondant on it. I also add white chocolate to fondant.

Fondant is going to be sweet... there's no way around it... but some are sweeter than others. I have made a bunch of different recipes for fondant. Toba's, Rhonda's MMF, some random ones I found on line... Michele Foster's is the most balanced as far as sweetness goes out of all the recipes I have tried. It's sweet (obviously)... but not cloyingly so. I think you really have to taste them side by side. These days I just use Satin Ice unless I am in a pinch, and MFF is similar in workability and I've never had an issue making it like I have with MMF.

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 8:11pm
post #30 of 30

Well I have to say I LOVE MFF! I will never make MMF again unless I'm in a pinch! The last few times I made MMF I have had little pieces of (gelatin?) all through my fondant. Maybe it was because I had no name marshmallows but it really irked me! When I made MFF is was so smooth and pliable! Love it! Love it! Love it! I am so happy because like others I don't like it thick on my cake and with this you can roll it very thin icon_biggrin.gif There, I'm done my happy rant! LOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%