Fondant, Gumpaste, Tylose? What To Use To Make Figurines...

Decorating By proudmommaof3 Updated 2 Dec 2009 , 5:46pm by cylstrial

proudmommaof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
proudmommaof3 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 3

I am soooo new and have never taken a class (which I really need to) and have soooo many questions. My daughter wants me to make a "favorite things" cake for her 9th b-day (duck, rainbow, mermaid, ice skates, ballet slippers, etc. LORD HELP ME) Do I use fondant or gumpaste and what exactly is tylose?

Can someone please explain my best ways of going about this task? Thank you.

Karen

2 replies
crl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crl Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 3

I am no expert in this, but when I make my figures, I mainly use fondant by itself. My understanding is that when fondant and gumpaste are mixed or when you add tylose, it makes the fondant mixture dry quicker. I don't work fast enough, so I use fondant by itself so it allows me more time to tweek what I don't like. I just make sure hat I make things several days in advance so there is enough drying time. I hope that helps.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 3

For figurines, I use 1/2 fondant - 1/2 gumpaste. It will dry harder than fondant so that it doesn't squish when you touch it and such. And it does dry faster than regular fondant as well.

Tylose is a powder that you add to fondant. It makes the fondant dry faster and harder. Fondant with tylose is equivalent to gumpaste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%