Let Me Know If I Have This Right?

Decorating By CakeMommyTX Updated 3 Dec 2009 , 12:50am by grandmom

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 15

I am going to cover my foam board with fondant so my questions are...
I don't need to cover it first like I normally do because the fondant serves are the board covering correct?

Do I need to cut a circle in the middle to place the cake or can I just set the decorated cake onto the fondant?

I don't have piping gel so can I use water or tylose glue to attach it to the board?

Okay I think that is it.
I'm sure I am making it out to be harder then it really is.

14 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 15

You're right, it's not that hard icon_biggrin.gif

I just put the piece of fondant directly onto the board. No gel, no glue, and I don't roll it out first...just plop it into the middle of the board and start rolling. It will stick itself down. Just roll it every direction until the board is covered, then rub your hands over it until it's smooth.

Some people cut a hole for the cake. I don't. The more height, the better, in my opinion. So I cover the board with fondant, then the cake sits on its own board cut to the exact size of the cake, and that goes on top of the fondant-covered board.

I use tacky glue to attach ribbon to the edge of the board...just put the board on your turntable, assuming it's big enough to hang over the edges of the turntable, put the glue bottle tip against the side of the board, start squeezing and turn the board. Then keep it on the turntable while you stick the ribbon to the glue.

I've heard of using straight pins or double sided tape to attach the ribbon too.

CakeMommyTX Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 15

Sweet, okay I'm going to try it!
I am such a creature of habit that it is very hard for me to try new things, if it ain't broke don't fix it is my motto.
But the fondant covered boards look sooo pretty and finished.
I'll try not to have a panic attack about my change in routine icon_eek.gif .
Thanks!

btw: we used to have a river house in Concan right outside of SA, good times thumbs_up.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 4:38pm
post #4 of 15

You can just grease your palms up with Crisco and rub it all over the board too to get your fondant to stick to it.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

You're right, it's not that hard icon_biggrin.gif

I just put the piece of fondant directly onto the board. No gel, no glue, and I don't roll it out first...just plop it into the middle of the board and start rolling. It will stick itself down. Just roll it every direction until the board is covered, then rub your hands over it until it's smooth.

Some people cut a hole for the cake. I don't. The more height, the better, in my opinion. So I cover the board with fondant, then the cake sits on its own board cut to the exact size of the cake, and that goes on top of the fondant-covered board.

I use tacky glue to attach ribbon to the edge of the board...just put the board on your turntable, assuming it's big enough to hang over the edges of the turntable, put the glue bottle tip against the side of the board, start squeezing and turn the board. Then keep it on the turntable while you stick the ribbon to the glue.

I've heard of using straight pins or double sided tape to attach the ribbon too.

The foam core boards are technically not food safe so completely covering the boards is the way to go! thumbs_up.gif

jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 4:52pm
post #6 of 15

To answer your questions:
1. To cover your board in fondant : apply a little coat of shortening to your board so the fondant will stick, Leave center of baoard without shortening. Roll out your fondant the size of your board and place fondant on board. After smoothing, cut around board edges for a soft finish. Place a circle the same size as the cake you are placing on the board covered with fondant and cut this portion out.
Your cake should be on a board of it's own. Now place some double sided tape in the hole you cut and place your cake on top of the that. your cake should be sitting nicely in it's place.

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 6:29pm
post #7 of 15

I go to the trouble of cutting that hold in the fondant just because I almost always travels with my cakes and I'm afraid the cake will slide off the fondant covered board.

grandmom Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 6:31pm
post #8 of 15

And I just want to add, and I mean this in a good way... I remember you asking similar questions before! You are one of the most talented decorators EVER! I LOVE your designs. With your talent you will have NO trouble with this. STOP WORRYING about this fondant covered board thing. You are gonna be so mad at yourself when you see how dang easy this is!!! Really!!

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 6:39pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmom

And I just want to add, and I mean this in a good way... I remember you asking similar questions before! You are one of the most talented decorators EVER! I LOVE your designs. With your talent you will have NO trouble with this. STOP WORRYING about this fondant covered board thing. You are gonna be so mad at yourself when you see how dang easy this is!!! Really!!

Whoa...I second that! I just took a look at your cakes and all I can say is...holy cow! I love every single one! Take a look at my cakes....if I can cover a board in fondant, you should have no problems! icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 8:29pm
post #10 of 15

I roll my fondant out with PS or CS or a mix of the two. So i lightly hit the board with my water spritzer and viola lay it on and it's stuck like glue. Same with the cake boards I stack onto that, because I don't cut a hole out. A Light spritz and place it down, stuck like glue. thumbs_up.gif Easy peasy!!! Youare gonna feel silly after you do it. he he

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 8:35pm
post #11 of 15

Cutting out the area where the cake will be saves on fondanticon_smile.gif That's what I always read......

CakeMommyTX Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 10:54pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmom

I know I almost tried it a few weeks ago but chickend out, I'm such a weenie.
What worries me the most is having to transfer the decorated cake to the board without messing up the edges or the fondant on the board.
You should see my cake boards when I'm done and before I wipe them off, they are a mess!

But yes you are right, I did it and it was super easy. I've been stressing over it all morning and it took me all of 20 minutes to cover 5 boards,and they look so much better then my other boards!
I'm sold now !
Thank you !

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 10:57pm
post #13 of 15

It's not hard to transfer the cake. Do the boards a couple days in advance if you can, and they'll be dry enough that your fingers won't dent them. If the fondant on the cake comes up a little bit at the bottom edge when you put it on the board, use your bench scraper to tuck it back under.

sadsmile Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 12:04am
post #14 of 15

And if you let the boards sit in a dark place to dry a bit you won't knick them up when putting a cake on them and you can wipe them off f need be so long as you use a gentle touch.

grandmom Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 12:50am
post #15 of 15

Yeah, I forgot that... I use Everclear to wipe off boos boos.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%