Need Some To Use With Box Mix And Canned Frosting

Decorating By j_arney Updated 2 Dec 2009 , 3:11pm by j_arney

j_arney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_arney Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 4

I'm participating in a craft fair this weekend and showcasing my cakes. Because I don't want to chance not having the cakes sell, I'm just taking one display cake and a bunch of mini cupcakes as samples. However, I just don't have the time this weekend to make two batches of cupcakes from scratch. I'm trying to cheat and use the box mix and canned icing I already have (I have most flavors on hand). I was going to do a strawberry cupcake with cream cheese icing, but then what else should I do? I was thinking chocolate cupcakes. Is there a way to flavor cream cheese icing? Maybe add an extract or something? Please let me know if you have any ideas!! Thanks!!

3 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 4

I don't see why you couldn't add something, but being that it's canned, I'm not sure if it would seperate with new added ingredients. I do have a question though? If these are not the type of cakes you actually make to sell, do you think it's a good idea to give these out as samples? And there is a possibility that people can tell it's just canned frosting and an undoctored mix and feel like they can make that themselves. Just a thought. I know a doctored mix can take as long as a scratch mix to make, depending on how you doctor it.

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 4

How is it "showcasing my cakes" if you use box mixes/canned icing when you are a scratch baker? If at all possible, I think you should try to make your scratch recipes. People will notice the difference in the flavors and textures of the samples you had at the craft fair vs. cakes they order from you later and may feel "deceived" by the switch.

j_arney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_arney Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 4

I generally do not bake from scratch. I usually doctor mixes and get rave reviews. With cake mixes costing $1/box and pudding at less than that, I ususally don't bake from scratch. However, some flavors have to be from scratch. My concern isn't with using box mix, it's with showing new flavor combinations they might not be used to (not yellow cake with choc icing).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%